One of the good things about being away from here for the two weeks of the holiday was that I didn't spend anything at home. No petrol for the car, no train tickets and no grocery shopping, no newspapers, no popping out for this and that that I probably didn't need anyway. No coffees, no cakes.
I took 200 Euros with me and came back with 160 of them. I changed two 20 Euro notes into local currency on arrival in Baku at a currency exchange machine to see how it went to cover a few incidentals and tips at the end. I found it went a long way and I did not need to change any further Euros. Lunches were included most days and they were taken so late in the afternoon, sometimes not until 3pm, that there was no need to spend anything on an evening meal because we just weren't hungry. I went to a supermarket twice and bought bars of chocolate and Fanta to keep me going in the evening if I needed anything. Bottled water was provided by the guides each day so I never had to buy any water.
Since I have been back I have had Covid but that has now abated and I am feeling the worst is over. The fever has gone and I am left with a snotty nose and a cough. I have been having a sleep each afternoon but today is the first day when I feel I don't need to do that. Two days ago I slept for 5 hours during the day and I think that was a turning point in getting better.
So May will have been a very low spend month for me which is just as well because saving any money is hard to do these days. My electricity bill was also less because I wasn't here using it. The final payment for the holiday was back in February so that was all kind of written off then. Big payments always seem painful until you have got them out of the way and can start building again.
I enjoyed the holiday very much and for once in my life I believe I actually needed a holiday. I don't usually go along with this philosophy of "needing a holiday" but this time I feel that that was true. I loved Azerbaijan and that I went. I now feel much lighter and that a weight has been lifted, that weight being that I did not think I would ever go on holiday again. Getting to Heathrow was not as horrendous as I thought and the airport was not busy during my departure or arrival home. I have sussed out what is best for me getting to and from Heathrow if I have to do it again.
The fitness training helped and although I was not as fit as Miss Perfect I was definitely fit enough to get myself through each day, get up each morning and be wide awake, and enjoy myself and not be a hindrance to anyone. It is strange to describe this because it is probably taken for granted by most people but for me at 74 it is not taken for granted. I will continue with the exercise routine once I am fully recovered from the Covid and hopefully that will be next week. Then maybe this holiday will not have been my last.
This is such a feel good post Rachel. I am glad that you are over the worst of Covid. I find a good long sleep usually resolves a lot of problems. I think you should go away again next year. It will give you the momentum to keep up your fitness and healthier eating. It seems the holiday has given you a renewed lease of life. You are encouraging me to exercise more so I can stay fit into older age. X
ReplyDeleteThe long sleep just happened, it took me by surprise and when I woke up I assumed the clocks were wrong. They weren't. I will see where I am at next year apart from another year older. I am not sure I ever mentioned eating did I? Anyway I think my diet is pretty good but could always be better. I just need to keep the exercises going for keeping mobile in everyday life. xx
DeleteI think you did mention food in the past or taking vitamins for optimum health (vitamin D) when you was undergoing blood tests but maybe I'm wrong. Whatever you are doing it is working! I've got food on my mind because I am trying to cut out the carbs! X
DeleteOh yes, I had a Vitamin D deficiency. X
DeleteHi Rachel, I am glad you had such an enjoyable holiday trip. It sounds very interesting,
ReplyDeleteYou are wise to intend to continue with your exercises. We live in a valley and the track upto the nearest road is about 1,4 k, We had a storm 2 days ago and it knocked out our phones. There is no mobile coverage here. We had no vehicle to use so had to walk. it was up a steepish hill all the way and when we reached the top had to walk to find a house with some one in. so we walked more tan 3,5 k or more before we returned. Much to ny surprise it seemed an easy walk up to the road but a bit tiring down hill as the surface is rough in places.
I have not walked up there for 3. or 4 years. when I did it required much more effort and was tiring. so obviously all the extra work I have to do since my husband died has strengthened me. also I walked quite purposfully, certainly not like many 86 year olds
So keep it up.
Kathy xx
You sound physically very fit Kathy. Fitness does not run naturally in my family so I have to work at it and I won't give up. I have seen my brother going down the route of not walking very well. I have felt quite isolated here this week whilst being unable to drive and I had to use the cat food I keep in case I am snowed in. My own food can stretch but the cats not so easily. It made me realise the need to keep the emergency supplies in stock living here. I attempted an on-line grocery order but it failed. I am glad to hear you were able to walk fairly easily. xx
Deleteno, wouldnt say Ihavebeen healthy, I have had a number of health problems and serious illnesses, but survived them, perhaps its a case of what doesnt kill you ,strenrthens you. xx
DeleteThat makes sense Kathy. It made you stronger in the long run. x
DeleteSometimes you need a holiday to get over a holiday! Covid will have enforced some rest and hope you are feeling tickety boo soon.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I have had Covid quite badly I have felt strangely happy here on my own not seeing anyone. I feel that the holiday has almost continued at home. I have had to put everything on hold and seen nobody and because I was so weak with fever I was unable to drive the car. If it hadn't been for catching this, presumably on the way home, I would have been fine in health this week. But as it is I haven't been!
DeleteMiss perfect has got on my tits
ReplyDeleteShe had that effect on people.
DeleteHow on earth did you manage to get Covid? I thought it had all but disappeared. You make my travels to France sound very 'cautious'.
ReplyDeleteIndeed, how on earth. I was in several crowded situations on the way home, in the plane of course. At Kings Cross where all trains had been cancelled when I arrived I sat for two hours cheek to jowl with hundreds of people in the heat until the trains started running again. I developed it three days after I got back so it must have been on the journey home. It is just one of those things and Covid has never really gone away, we just deal with it.
DeleteI am so pleased for you, Rachel! The holiday itself and everything about it sounds very good, and I am also glad to read that you‘re better now and the fever is gone. It is truly amazing how little money you needed in Azerbaijan. How much were the chocolate bars and Fanta bottles? I find it interesting to compare the cost of such things in different countries, and as a child I was fascinated every time when we were in Italy - an ice cream could cost several THOUSAND lire when in Germany we were used to maybe 80 Pfennig for a cheap ice lolly and 1,20 DM for a chocolate-covered one.
ReplyDeleteYour exercises paid off, and you are determined to keep them up once you‘re fully recovered. Well done, you!
Thank you Meike. I feel very up-lifted after the holiday. A bottle of Fanta cost 1 Manat in local currency. In GB money this is 44p. In England the same bottle of Fanta orange costs me £3. The chocolate bars, large ones, cost me 2.5 Manat which is just over £1. As mentioned in my garage pictures, which were probably on Instagram on reflection, petrol is about 50p per litre. In England it is £1.60 per litre.
DeleteFor my 40 Euros exchange I received about 80 manats. This went a long way and I still tipped generously the driver and guide. Of course all lunches were included so we did not have to pay for any main means.
I also find it interesting to compare prices in other countries. Jean bought bottled beer to have with lunches and it cost her 7 manats which is about £3.
Thank you. I am feeling happy that I went on holiday and achieved all I wanted to achieve. xx
Glad to hear you're feeling better. Covid is just the flu but it's still an illness you didn't need at the end of that marvellous holiday. It's lovely to hear more details and your enjoyment
ReplyDeleteCovid does at least not stop you from moving, albeit with little energy and needing rest moving from one room to another. Flu stops this altogether and renders you bedridden. I could still look after myself without help. The holiday was so good that the Covid tacked on at the end was a nuisance but not the end of the world, especially as I didn't have to work. I hope Jean didn't get it because she was due back to work the next day and had already got into trouble for giving the wrong holiday dates. As said, Jean was a bit loopy! xx
Delete