I have been to Azerbaijan and am back today. I have been in London for a night at the airport as it was a late night flight.
The tour was very good and I documented it on Instagram which many of you followed. I found it easy and delightful and no trolls.
I wrote quite a bit while I was travelling. The poetry came back especially after we had been to the tomb of Nizami the most revered poet and philosopher of Azerbaijan/Persia. I read some of his poems while I was in my room in the evening and started to write again.
I was with five people, Mark a lovely man from Sheffield, Annie and Ian from Lytham, Jean from North London and Margaret from Peterborough. I gave Margaret the nickname of Miss Perfect, others gave her the name of Sheila Hancock because she looked liked her; Margaret was well travelled and the oldest in the group at 76, the fastest walker and the least accommodating to the needs of others.
Jean was a nutty accounts clerk still working in her late 60s and appeared to be have problems understanding instructions which upset Miss Perfect greatly.
Annie and Ian caused some problems with missing passports and were unable to board the train when we arrived at the station for a cross country journey so four of us went on the train without them and they had to get a taxi. We were unable to board the train without id. I don't know if this was because we were foreigners as we were not crossing any borders so id requirement seemed odd to me. They later found their passports and were at odds between the two of them who was to blame.
There was a big row between Jean and Miss Perfect one morning when Jean was late.
I kept out of all upsets and trouble.
Troubles would come and drift away with shrugs and Jean and Miss Perfect avoided each other after the row.
We all sang from the same political hymn sheet which was good for calmness where there could have been storms. Mark from Sheffield was as middle of the road as they come. No calling for death or horrors to befall politicians, no hate for anyone past or present, just political facts current and on-going, home and abroad. We left England the day after we had voted in our local elections so some political chat was inevitable.
It was odd to be with people everyday for almost a fortnight when I am used to being alone at home for days on end. I am finding my house incredibly quiet at the moment and strange to have nobody to talk to.
I spent some time on my own or with the driver and had different experiences to the rest of the group because I did not always want to spend all day walking because my body just couldn't take it especially in the heat of Azerbaijan. It was always at least 27C
Azerbaijan lived up to all my expectations and did not disappoint. I saw oil rigs, textiles, fruit, vegetables, wheat and barley. I saw wonderful modern architecture in Baku and some very ancient architecture elsewhere. I saw clean streets everywhere with ladies and men sweeping and weeding always, even miles from anywhere, always cleaning and sweeping. No graffiti anywhere. The food was lamb and chicken kebabs and stews with rice and salads and many cheeses. Drinks were always fruit juices, particularly cherry juice. I photographed farms and tractors, cars, markets and mosques. There was much evidence all around of former Soviet Azerbaijan with blocks of apartments, cars and the sweepers. The people were friendly and loved to talk about football. There wasn't a great deal of English spoken but football and the English Premier league were frequently a topic of conversation from Baku to isolated villages miles from anywhere and crossed the language barrier without a problem.
The cats were well behaved while I was away and look pampered and content and happy to see me.
Well done
ReplyDeleteIt was a great trip.
DeleteI’m glad
DeleteWelcome home. That seems to have gone by very quickly. And now you return to high temperatures here as well.
ReplyDeleteFor me it seems ages ago that I left for Heathrow. Hot here and at present I am staying indoors for a day or two.
DeleteA wonderful experience. You are braver than me and reap the rewards!
ReplyDeleteI am sure you would cope fine on this kind of small group travel. You can do as you please as long as you don't upset the group schedule so spending time on my own was easily accommodated.
DeleteIt's good to see you're back, Rachel!
ReplyDeleteThe trip sounds really good (apart from the trouble between Miss Perfect and Jean, and the couple arguing because of their missing passports, but you're well versed in staying out of such things).
I can imagine it took time getting used to being around people almost 24/7 when you live on your own, and I wonder how much of the quietness of your house was welcome, and how much you miss the almost constant company.
As I am not on Insta, I hope you'll show some pictures from your trip here on your blog; Azerbaijan is a place I know little about and would like to see it with your attentive eyes and open mind.
The quietness of my house seems almost eerie as I have been around people in hotels, guides, drivers, as well as the immediate group non-stop for the duration of the travels. I am getting used to it again that there is suddenly nobody expecting anything of me. I was grateful to Mark from Sheffield to have a like-minded soul on board although we both got on very well with Jean. We all tended to steer clear of Miss Perfect. It did cross my mind as to why she had opted for group travel when she appeared more suited to travelling alone.
DeleteI will publish some photos this week for those who did not see me on Instagram. Thanks Meike. Rachel
Great post Rachel! I loved to see your updates on Instagram and look forward to seeing photos on here too. Will you keep in touch with Jean and Mark? I am so happy for you that the trip was relatively positive. x
ReplyDeleteThanks Simone, I enjoyed Instagram for a change, less emphasis on words, more on pictures, and no pressure. Mark gave me his email so will probably drop him a line. Jean was not techy minded and didnt have a phone and just disappeared back to North London. The trip was very positive for me and I enjoyed every minute. Even the group in its diversity was enjoyable and sometimes quite funny. Mark said we were the most diverse group of people he had ever been with! Funny that this could happen in such a small group. It was refreshing and surprising that we actually all agreed on something - the present government!
DeleteOh, and we all liked football and had a good knowledge of it. Except for Miss Perfect that is!
DeleteWelcome back, Rachel! Librarian beat me to the request of pictures on your blog. I also do not go on Instagram and am quite curious to see what you saw. Happy to hear your cats were fine while you were gone. How did the backpack work out for you, by the way? -Jenn
ReplyDeleteHi Jenn. I will try to put together some photos to give you a picture of the country. The backpack was just right and a good choice of size. I wore all the clothes that I took but it took me a few days to get the temperature right; I had forgotten what it is like to be in the heat and out in the afternoon sun everyday.
DeleteWelcome home Rachel. I enjoyed your Instagram photos. Now I'm enjoying your post, especially the personalities.
ReplyDeleteYou've got a heatwave I see. Still cool-ish here.
Thanks Linda. There was a whole lot more to the trip than the geographic and discovery of Azerbaijan!
DeleteWow, what an amazing experience, although it must have been difficult swerving the arguments between some of the others in the group.
ReplyDeleteNo difficulty, they were only relatively minor and fortunately we all had a pretty good sense of humour and were able to behave well with each other, even after the words were said to Miss Perfect.
Delete