Monday, 25 May 2026

Some of Azerbaijan

 When we arrived in Baku on May 9th it was 6am and we had just had a night flight from Heathrow.  I was unable to sleep on the plane.  We were taken straight to the hotel and checked in at 7am and breakfast was being served.  I was too whacked to go to the breakfast room and went straight to bed.  We next met at 12.30 pm for lunch as a group and to meet the guide.  He had met us at the airport but this time we were to talk to him over lunch and get to know him and one another.  

I had met Mark on the plane coming over having identified him as a possible member of the group at Heathrow when I saw him wandering around alone and scratching his head.  I bravely approached him and I was right.  He was puzzled as to how I would know but I just instinctively did. 

Anyway, at lunch we all chatted a bit but I was still not recovered from the flight.  I really needed all day to recover.

Meanwhile it transpires that Margaret who I later named Miss Perfect had already done the first stage of our excursion for that day, a city walk, while the rest of us slept and was filling the guide in with what she knew which she had also done more extensively with him privately he gaily told us.  He did not seem to realise that we all hardly knew one another and that he probably knew Margaret at this stage better than we did.  The rest of us were a bit non-plussed and did not react to any of this. We were tired and ready for him to guide us as per our itinerary.   Below is a photograph of the two of them. 

As she walked very fast at the front I spoke to the guide after 15 minutes of chasing to keep up that could he please slow down and bear in mind that Margaret should not be used as the basemarker for pace of the group as we were all much slower, either because we wanted to stop and photograph and look around or because we simply did not walk fast or both.  He took this on board and from then on the pace was slower and more suited to an elderly bunch of tourists who wanted to stop now and again to photograph or buy the odd souvenir.




Other things we saw in Baku were lots of traffic as it is a busy, modern city, lots of shops, people and daily life.  Here are some photographs. 
traffic

flame towers in Baku, the city of fire

Mark standing, Annie sitting and Ian taking photos

old city 

old city 

textiles in shops

and more of the old city 


After that exhausing afternoon I went riding with the driver while the others walked some steps, below.  It was a bank holiday weekend in Baku and the driver explained that the roads were busy for a weekend as everybody was out with family just like anywhere else on a bank holiday.







16 comments:

  1. The photos give a lovely flavour of your trip Rachel. It is good that the guide slowed down the walking for all of you. Did you buy any 'souvenirs' and would you return? I hope that you are feeling recovered from your adventure abroad. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a nice guide and it was only a matter of time before one of us mentioned it to him. He just didn't seem to have noticed that we were getting left behind! I bought two bracelets because I wear them all the time and they were easy to carry. I bought a present for my friend who has just lost her husband and a tea glass for myself, and a small item of postcards to remind me of the tile designs. I saw lots of lovely textiles but I did not want to add anything to my house. I would revisit Baku to see the things we missed. I have a bit of a fever at the moment and probably have Covid so am unable to do much at present. x

      Delete
    2. Oh dear! Sorry you have a bit of a fever Rachel. The hot weather doesn't help! Rest up and hopefully you will be back to your self very soon. x

      Delete
    3. I am staying indoors in the cool. I hope I am soon better too. x

      Delete
  2. Oh no, dear Rachel, a fever and probably Covid? I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that symptoms aren‘t too bad so that you can still look after your basic needs on your own.
    The night flight would have knocked me out for the whole day, too. Strange that your guide, as nice as he was, didn‘t realise that his small group wasn‘t keeping up with the pace of one person who sort of put herself in the front seat, metaphorically.
    Baku looks very clean (you mentioned people sweeping a lot) and well worth a visit with the old and the new side by side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only our first walk so forgiveable but I decided a gentle nudge to remind him that we were having difficulty keeping up was in order. Margaret continued to put herself out in front throughout the tour but fortunately the guide did not regard her as any kind of group leader. Baku was outstandingly clean, as was the rest of the country. Sometimes there is good in dictatorships when it comes to law and order. Police presence was huge and they took the role of security at all public places and were very high profile.

      I am glad I was home when the fever started. I managed to shop the first day back but now I am feeling too ill to go out. I hope it soon passes. Rachel

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the pictures. I don't know what I expect when I see pictures from countries so far away - a whole different world I guess, but so far it seems like a regular city that could be anywhere (well, minus the castle - not a lot of those in North America). I'm guessing you have airplane flu - not surprising. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget that people do not know that Baku is a wealthy city built on oil money and the origins of Shell and BP are here. Even my learned friends in England do not know this and they are not so learned. This was one of the reasons I wanted to visit. Azerbaijan is known as the land of fire because of the oil and natural gas. There is an old town as well as the modern city. I have Covid, I am 90% sure although I do not have a test kit. The rest of Azerbaijan is different to Baku. I will publish some other photos later.

      Delete
  4. Do hope you are well soon Rachel ! It often seems to happen after a tiring journey and close proximity on planes. Your photos are great - I particularly like the old city and the textiles. Shame Miss Perfect couldn't have slowed down a bit - twisted ankle perhaps or is that too mean! Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I had had a quiet word with the guide it was ok. The big bust up came later when she got very angry with Jean in front of everybody and the guide was a bit taken aback. It was a bit of a strange group because I have never known that to happen before. She later said she was going to complain to the tour organisers about Jean for delaying the group and when our flights between Baku and Nakhchivan were delayed in both directions because of bad weather (which was not in doubt) she also said she was going to complain. I think she lost any credibility she might have had after that. I am just hoping I am well enough tomorrow to go out. Thanks Sheila. x

      Delete
  5. Baku looks so interesting with its modern city so much colour, culture and history. Your guide sounds excellent, just as he should be, aware of the needs of all the group. Did you have the same guide throughout?
    Travelling is tiring. I need a days rest after a day out in a city close by. You did well, you know your limits.
    Now, get well quick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an interesting city and the architecture was quite futuristic with designs by many famous architects such as Zaha Hadid. We had a different guide and driver in Nakhchivan who were also brilliant. Our first guide kept in touch with us throughout, especially when we had internal flight problems which delayed us and he had had to move on to another tour. We had another night in a different hotel in Baku. It was all full on. He scared the wits out of me when he left me responsible for our air tickets by sending them to me by WhatsApp whilst we stood in the middle of the street and I thought I had no phone signal! He did something to my phone which hitched us together. Anyway it worked, and I was the holder of our etickets.
      At home I like to only do one thing per day and I like a day off between but this was not possible on the tour. That is what makes me think this will probably be my last.
      Yes, I need to get rid of this virus quick. Thanks Linda. x

      Delete
  6. I think Miss Perfect sounds a nightmare to be on holiday with. Well done, for getting the guide to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was ok, and once we got the guide "with us" there were no more walking problems. Off course she was always going to be faster than us through her extraordinary fitness but that was ok because she was independent and did her own thing. The main thing was to inform the guide that he was with us and not to take her as our leader, which she wasn't. He understood fully.

      Delete

Dull? Never

 During the 1974 Wilson government (I think Wilson - I can't be bothered to look it up  - because it was a turbulent time with governmen...