Saturday, 2 May 2026

Saturday

 Some of you may have noticed, that's if you use blog reading lists, that blog posts are not up-dating at the moment.  I don't think it makes a great deal of difference to me as I am on only on two blog roll lists that I know of but I will be on reading lists of those who follow me.  On the one blog roll list that updates when a new post is written it is obvious that the lists are not up-dating as I am still showing as a post Grief written two days ago.  The post Antisemitism in Britain is not showing.  The Grief post has had over 300 page views, the Antisemitism shows only 160 page views.   All by-the-by really but I hope that the lack of up-dating is the only reason why nobody is interested in the Antisemitism in Britain post.  It is important.   The other blog list where I appear in Western Australia on Sarah's blog  is one that lists blogs followed but is not a time recording up-dated one.  So really I am only on one blog roll list. 

Today is another lovely day and I met my friend who likes to meet me for normalcy as she calls it.  I also like to meet her for the same reason.   

I have booked my Heathrow Express ticket and am now at the end of the things I have to do with regard to tickets and paperwork for the holiday as far as I can see.   I was undecided about how to get to Heathrow from Central London as there are various options but in the end decided to opt for the Heathrow Express and book in advance and save a considerable amount of money.  It is the most expensive Heathrow connection but the advance booking brings it down to more or less match the undergrounds.  

I had the sewing machine out yesterday and mended some jeans and did a viewing of them with my friend today, not for complimentary reasons but for the fact that, as we both know, when living alone it is very difficult to see things all around in the mirror and back views are a near impossibility so I decided to go today wearing them and ask for help. I needed to know for sure that the mend was invisible and tight without stretches when I was actually wearing them.  Whilst I could see this when sewing I could not see this when wearing.  This is something we are both well aware of living alone.  The jeans passed the test and the outfit passed with an objective eye as suitable for Baku.  My friend is familiar with Baku as she and her husband were travellers there for business reasons.   This is purely coincidental that I have a friend familiar with the city, but a good coincidence.   

I said I would be posting on Instagram.  She doesn't follow Instagram so wants me to Whatsapp her.  What a lot of techy things we do these days.  I can do that.  

I had a rather frustrating call with my mobile provider this week and the long and short of it was that the man in Mumbai did not really want to chat to me because I couldn't remember the name of my first pet.  We went through two cat names and all sorts of other things and I said I only wanted to ask a general question about data use abroad and did not want to talk about my account but he said he couldn't answer questions at all without firstly accessing my account.  I was ringing from my mobile number which is the subject of my account which you would think would have sufficed in any case. However, it appeared not to and we continued with pet name guessing.    In the end, after 10 minutes of this, I curtailed the call.  It was so frustrating and I turned to the internet and did get an answer of sorts but I would much rather have had a chat with a human about it. 

I might not be posting on the blog while I am away unless the mobile phone provider offers me a data package when I arrive which in theory it should do for a few quid which I would be willing to pay.  

But as yet I am still here.  I won't be cleaning the house very much and will leave things much as they are for the cats.    They will be fed by my neighbour. 

But I am still here.  Sorry the run up to  the holiday seems to be rather long but it is just the way it is.  




18 comments:

  1. I check my blog's reading list and I noticed that yours wasn't updating. It still isn't as of this morning. I didn't know enough about the subject of antisemitism in Britain ro comment on your last post. I take it that there were murders but I haven't seen anything about it in our news. It's horrible and sad. Last year the Democratic governor of Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro (a Jewish man) had his home broken into and set on fire with him and his family inside. It's a miracle they made it out alive, and it was barely a blip on the national news and nobody talks about it anymore. I cannot understand such hate and we need to have zero tolerance for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. Thank you for fillilng me in on the blog list. I noticed that elsewhere somebody mentioned that blog lists are not up-dating at the moment.

      We have had attempted murders and fire attacks on Jews in England recently and the fear and uncertainty for Jews in public places is driving many to hide and to fear for their lives right now. We have a selection of Government Ministers and Members of Parliament who have not tackled the problem early enough and have allowed antisemitic chants to come out of the mouths of too many who cannot be approached for reasons of the right to demonstrate and freedom of speech.

      Delete
  2. Regarding the antisemitism, A presenter on a news panel who I listened to today, who is Jewish said after the Saturday people they will go for the Sunday people. I think she is right. Don't know about blog lists anymore. You're the only one I read regularly Rachel. Enjoy your holiday when it comes. I will check on Instagram now and then to see if you have posted. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone for being a loyal reader. Islamists and the current stirring of events by Zack Polanski (actor, would be politician, possibly a charlatan) is not helping. xx

      Delete
  3. Can’t wait to hear of your adventure and hopefully see some pictures. Be safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One day you might reveal something of your profile, I am hoping.

      Delete
  4. I was moved by your grief post….sorrel died today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes forget that time does not stand still and life outside my own grief goes on as normal - it seems impossible that Sorrel could have died. I thought of you when I wrote the post because we do have parallels in our lives and your life changed at around about the time that my life changed. xx

      Delete
  5. Just popping in to say that it's 12:34am (my time) and finally my reading list has updated and is showing the "Saturday" post as new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennifer. I appreciate it that you came to tell me. The numbers of visitors to the "missed" posts is now creeping up. I believe some blogs on blog lists have still not up-dated but it looks Blogger is getting it right gradually. Rachel xxx

      Delete
  6. Ah, I had noticed that recently my blog reading list has been very slow to update, sometimes with blog posts taking a day to appear there.
    I think your choice of the Heathrow Express is a good one. It may cost a little more but is faster, with no stops so less stressful.
    When I travel I download an e-sim for the country I am visiting. It is easy, but not cheap.
    I am looking forward to seeing your trip reports soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Numbers of views are returning to normal helped by the up-dating of reading lists by Blogger and also some word of mouth by mentions that I get elsewhere. I know I am not the most popular of bloggers so expect very little but it does help to have the reading lists up-to-date for those who are interested in following.

      I have used the Heathrow Express before and it was at the back of my mind to use it again but I just kept putting off the decision.

      I looked into the e-sim option after I read about you using it but unfortunately my phone does not support it. The data-bundle which I hoped to fix up before leaving the UK is apparently going to be "offered" to me when I arrive. We shall see.

      Delete
  7. You're still on my reading list but other regulars aren't. I go on a search.
    Thank goodness we don't have to deal with anyone from Mumbai, yet. It's bad enough dealing with an automatic system here. They ask simple questions which only need a yes, no, no way, answer which doesn't work for me because of my accent. I'm the one who sounds like the man from Mumbai lol
    You do efficient trip prep. More ducks in a row, as they say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger seems to have been having blips with up-dating for about a week now. Even though some of it has come right this morning I notice that not all has.

      If you ring most of the service providers in the UK you can get put through to call-centres all over the world. It is rare to get through to someone in the UK itself.

      Travelling alone is a bit of a challenge the older I get and I just try to make it as easy as possible for myself! Lots of things like people in pairs take for granted cannot be taken for granted by the lone traveller, like is the seam split on my trousers over my bum for instance!

      Delete
  8. This post of yours is showing on my reading list this morning, so I guess it is updating alright. As for your post on antisemitism, I have not yet seen that one. Here in Germany, we have of course our own daily reality of antisemitism, and not just in the Eastern parts of the country, as some like to believe. My book-swapping friend is married to a Jewish man and they are both engaged in a local organisation to promote understanding of semitic history and culture.

    Well done on getting everything ready for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was listening to a Jewish talk this week that said that the under 35s pick up their news and views from brief items they see on platforms such as Tiktok and X and without question or history or backup they see it as real without challenge and have a short attention but enough for it to be repeated and repeated. Then we have antisemitism in chants and parades that follow.

      Delete
  9. I've had a catchup on your last posts since your birthday - first chance I've had to peruse blogs for an age - and wanted to say that your posts strike such a chord with me. It sounds like you're on the verge of departing, so also wish you Bon Voyage! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pip, thank you for popping in this morning (Sunday morning here). I am pleased to hear you read and caught up with my posts and they are resonating with you. I am going later this week and hope to post when I am away. xx

      Delete