Tuesday, 30 June 2026

Football and Exercise

 A couple of upsets in the World Cup knock out stage last night with Netherlands and Germany both going out.  Brazil went through against Japan but did not look startlingly good or anything like we used to take for granted with Brazil.  

Germany played badly in the first half that I was watching, terrible defending and Paraguay scored an easy goal to go ahead. Totally unmarked while the German defence stood around doing nothing.   I went to bed and didn't watch the second half or listen to it.  

Later I discovered the match went to extra time and there was a controversial goal VAR decision when the VAR panel judged that the Paraguay keeper was fouled and disallowed a goal.  VAR adhered strictly to the new FIFA rules that goalkeepers are not to be touched.  I can't see that working in the Premier League but this is the rule in the World Cup so the goal was disallowed.  Lots of disbelief from the pundits, no doubt Shearer was shouting.  "That could never happen, he faked it, he dived".  Well Alan, it just did happen.  

The match then remained a draw at the end of extra time and went to penalties.  Germany had a terrible penalty time and it is said that four players refused to step up leaving  poor ol'  Jonathan Tah having to take one never having taken a penalty before in a competitive game and duly kick it over the bar.  That was it for Germany and Paraguay won 4 3.   This was Germany's  first failure to win a penalty shoot out in the World Cup in 44 years.  

On the basis of what I saw of Germany in this World Cup they did not look the greatest of teams and I am happy for Paraguay.  On the singing of their national anthem alone Paraguay looked like winners from the start. 


Another shock, The Netherlands were beaten by Morocco, a match that also ended in 1-1 and went to extra time and penalties.  Morocco are a good footballing side and I am happy to see them go through to the last 16.  They are another team who never give up and play with passion and winners in the singing department too.  I was once in Marrakech with my friend Allal and I asked to go to the Marrakech v Casablanca game that was on and he refused saying the passion for football in such a clash  is such that he did not feel it was safe for me to go.  Oh well..


We shall see what happens to England tomorrow night.  I think they will have a tough job on their hands with DR Congo.  Tuchel has a difficult team selection to make with plenty of off pitch advice coming his way I can see.  I liked DR Congo when I saw them playing Portugal 10 days ago and DR Congo had Portugal running pretty scared so England need to be ready for them and the counter attack.   It looks like a Ghana type scenario could happen all over again except this time it can't end in a draw. 

Will there be more shocks tonight when France play Sweden and Ivory Coast play Norway?  Lots of fun to come.  


I cut the grass and then sat down to prepare for more new exercises which I have ready for my new regime.  I am slowly getting better but each day takes a while to get started.  I am concentrating on legs and circulation and blood coming back up after its journey down to my feet and no varicous veins.   So important for the over 50s.  The new exercises are an overlap of those already in my regime. Calf raises, elevated legs up the wall, never stand still for more than 30 minutes, move and do some calf raises, and do ankle pumps point toes away and pull back.  

I have also added inner thigh shaping up with clam shell knee, lay on side with ankles together and open and shut legs like a clam shell keeping ankles together.  

Oh for love and happiness on the blog where people call in with pleasant greetings and joy to share with me.    


15 comments:

  1. I'm listening to Norway v Ivory Coast now as I cook. Norway is winning. No favourites there for me but I'd like to see I C win. It's called Elephant coast in Greek and I've just read their nickname is Elephants.
    I was surprised to see Germany and Netherlands go. They used to be front runners.
    I need to do those leg strengthening exercises again. I'm getting very wobbly which annoys me. I don't like feeling weak but I'm in my summer zone - zoned out. And we haven't even had one heatwave yet. Thank goodness
    You're an inspiration. I need to get up earlier and do them in the cool early morning


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm watching it and doing a crosword puzzle. Ivory Coast have just scored. Yippee!!!!

      The joy of the calf and leg exercises is that they are simple and they really have worked for me over six months. Standing doing calf lifts by a chair or in a chair nobody even notices. And not many minutes is needed. Slow lifts have definitely helped my legs.

      Back to football.

      Delete
    2. Haaland puts Norway back ahead. Great goal in the right position at the right moment. You can't escape that man!

      Delete
    3. Well done Haarland and Norway
      Won't be watching France and Sweden. It starts, at midnight here. Hope England plays at a decent time tomorrow

      Delete
    4. Too late for me to stay up but might listen on radio for a bit. England is early kick off tomorrow. 5pm here.

      Delete
  2. I must admit I haven’t watched a single game of the World Cup - just not a sporty person. Well done getting back into your exercises after recovering from that virus! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the tactics engaged in a match and the managerial process as much as anything and, of course, football is undoubtedly very popular in Britain. I have not watched many matches in the World Cup because the timings are difficult for me as most of the games are played well after my bedtime.

      I am only slowly returning to the exercises this week and am still not able to do as much as I was but it will come.
      Thanks Jenn.

      Delete
  3. Like coffeeontheporchwith me, I have not watched a single game. And to be honest, Germany having lost the game meant a quiet night for me, with no noisy neighbours celebrating! (I am the only German person living in the 7 flats of our two semis, but there are German families in the surrounding houses.)

    Your new exercises sound good, and I am glad you feel well enough now to have picked up exercising again. During the last two weeks when it became extremely hot, I didn't feel up to doing my usual set of exercises, but yesterday morning temperatures were at about 21C and it felt fresh enough in my kitchen to get my mat out and do my exercises there on the floor. It made me feel much more like myself again, after a zombie-like weekend spent in darkened rooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this kind of dream that people in England who have come to settle here will support England. And likewise people who have settled in Germany will support Germany. I suppose that is an unattainable situation and pie in the sky. There are many hypocrisies I was thinking about in bed this morning, like we are expected to accept all illegal refugees in Britain without any negativity at all and yet if I were to say that Ukraine should let Russia have the eastern Ukraine territory and peace prevail this would be decried and I would be pilloried. Sorry, I digressed a bit.

      I spent some time yesterday watching a video on You Tube about blood pathways and leg veins and muscles and made notes about the exercises because the doctor stressed the importance of doing the exercises in the correct order. There are 5 exercises to do in 10 minutes but it is easy to forget the order especially at first. I am still only doing half of what I was doing before the virus but I am slowly recovering.

      I am glad the temperature is getting more "liveable". It is the same here.

      Delete
  4. Pleasant greetings and joy to you Rachel! I don't watch the football but heard that France won their game last night. I am glad you talk about your exercises because it encourages me to do mine too. I really sleep well after the legs up the wall! Thinking about the older generation, my Nan never did 'exercises' but she rarely sat down. I think movement is one of the best things we can do for ourselves. Enjoy your day! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone. I discovered that the Japanese do the legs up the wall before bed to help sleep. I also do it and did whilst I was on holiday. I slept well every night of my holiday. The video yesterday was on the journey of the blood down the legs and up again and compared it to water in a system of locks which made it very clearly understandable. I realised that I should have started this many years ago but it is never too late. Thank you Simone. xx

      Delete
  5. I would have made a good time and motion expert , I think. I have always been good at noticing what jobs can be combined ,thus taking the least effort. I am now trying to do things one at a time, taking more time, but needing more movement and effort. Another thing that I feels helps me, is to make all movements as graceful as possible.
    I find all your comments about your exercises very interesting and try and remember as many as possible to do myself.
    I think that tha hot spell has sapped my energy and I find I cannot do as much as I would like now.
    I must try the 'legs up wall can you hold on to something.
    I treat plant watering as an exercise. Using a 5 litre watering can , I fill 2 then walk the 40ft to the end of the poytunnel, with one in each hand , (they weigh about 11lb each) I have to do this about 10 times each morning, but each trip is a bit less. Exercise for arms legs and back.
    I am lucky I have no varicose veins.
    Enjoy your day
    Kathy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be lying on your back on the bed or the floor and your legs will be up againsst the wall so the wall will support you so you shouldn't need "to hold on to something" but do if you want to. Watering the plants with the watering can for weight and the walks will be good exercise.

      I think I do good time and motion to, making sure ever journey outside to the garage has a multi purpose like in winter I always bring in a log or weed as I go in summer. I collected the bin in this morning and weeded as I went to collect it.

      I don't have varicous veins and am hoping to keep strong veins with exercise.

      Thank you. Rachel x

      Delete
    2. I thought you meant that you stood up to do the wall exercise, thats why I asked if you held onto something .!!
      Kathy xx

      Delete
    3. My fault, I assumed too much that everybody knew what I was talking about! I think it is a common yoga pose as well, or one that yoga people often engage in. xxx

      Delete

Films Football and Fun

 I went to see the Social Reckoning movie yesterday.  This is the latest documentary/drama, with an emphasis on drama over documentary, on Z...