What lengths will people go to to get money through false insurance claims? I have been thinking about this over the weekend. I don't know why, maybe light sleeping in the heat, a dream of a past boyfriend maybe.
Many years ago I went out with a boy who thought nothing of making false insurance claims. His most common fraud was to claim he had had his camera stolen on holiday, or his luggage. I was horrified at this. I remember him saying to me he thought everybody did it. He would fabricate long explanations of what happened. I didn't stay with him for very long.
I have put a stop to my annual travel insurance and it will not automatically renew this time. I will shop around for my next time if I have another holiday.
I know that this type of insurance fraud still goes on and people will go to great lengths to build a story and even waste police time in the process.
We pay a lot for other people's frauds.
Theft and dishonesty is despicable.
Challenge, question, sleuth.
I’ve never ever claimed on insurance
ReplyDeleteI was the same until last year when I hit a deer in my car and I made a claim.
DeleteI've never thought about claiming on insurance but it happens all the time. When we needed a new wing on the car, some years ago, our panel beater (or whatever he's called) who is a friend told us not to worry. He had a friend who was in insurance. They'd say we were in an accident, claim insurance and wouldn't pay a penny. Thank goodness K refused. About a year later the whole lot, mechanic, insurer and many others were arrested for insurance fraud in an early morning raid.
ReplyDeleteMotor insurers share information, that helps a bit. Travel insurers don't so people like the guy I knew just jump from one company to another and repeat.
DeleteAs my main employer is an insurance company and I work in the legal department where my colleagues deal with insurance fraud and other unpleasant matters, I know how widespread that is. I can't agree more with these two sentences in your post, Rachel:
ReplyDeleteWe pay a lot for other people's frauds.
Theft and dishonesty is despicable.
I thought you would be interested in this post Meike. I believe the crime of insurance fraud is almost considered as "not a crime" and something you can just "see if it works" or "try it on because everybody does it" and often undertaken by those who are on the outside considered "respectable" people.
Delete