On the election result at Makerfield the country remains divided of course.
The pound fell and the bond market fell meaning borrowing becomes more expensive as the markets see Britian as more of a risk if Burnham takes the helm.
If I see one more time what a good man to Manchester he was I will scream. I wonder how Sir Richard Leese feels at rarely, if ever, getting a mention for putting Manchester back together again with Burnham forever taking all the credit.
Manchester remains heavily in debt to billions and has given Burnham a false sense of security with money as local authority money is totally different to central government borrowing. The bond market should have told him that on Friday if he took a moment to look which I expect he didn't.
Turning to the Dr Louise Newson book I mentioned yesterday it arrived at 4pm and I started reading a little in the evening. It is a medical book and not an easy read for the layman like me. I am having to look up words and the Chambers dictionary is not quite enough so some I have to put through Google.
The message I have seen early on is the importance of cholesterol to the production of hormones. I have long been against statins and I feel more sure than ever that my decision is the right one. Although Dr Newson does not mention statins in the book because it is, as I said, more of a medical students or GPs text book than a book of criticism, she tells me that the cholesterol is made in the liver and is vital for all production of oestrogen, progresterone and testosterone and all are made from cholesterol; they enter the bloodstream and they have an effect on every cell in the body. They improve thousands of cellular actions. Cholesterol is not so evil as people are led to believe assuming you have a reasonably healthy diet and addressing diet is the important factor. (I put that in because that is what I try to do).
As I sit here, not on any medication, I feel ok about the statin decisions I have made over the years - I was first told I would take them by a doctor in about 2008 who didn't look me in the eye, just looked down as his prescription pad at the time and said he was giving me the prescription and I said no thank you. I am still here in 2026 as I write. That would have been 18 years of putting a pills in my mouth to stop one enzyme in my liver. Is my body meant for that? Did my mother's body and grandparents miss out by not having statins? They all lived into their 80s.
I was next left a prescription for statins four years ago in a doctors reception when, not even seen by a doctor, I had given a high blood pressure reading in a nurses room one afternoon. I left the prescription refusing to pick it up until I was plagued by phone calls that I needed to pick it up which I eventually did to keep them off my back. I threw the pills in my garage. I am still here.
(On the subject of Dr Newson and the BBC which I mentioned yesterday. I see from the blurb on the book that her clinic which was featured on Panorama is a private clinic, not NHS. I wonder if this is why the BBC of the left portrayed her as a charlatan and were so intent upon closing her down.)
So that is it for the boring part this morning. I will continue with the book and Andy Burnham observations.
I watched the Netherlands beat Sweden last night, a good match and then went to bed at 8pm. (All the goals in the 5-1 scoreline coming from players who play in the English Premier league). The recipe for a good life is to go to bed when your body is ready. I listened to one half of the Germany v Ivory Coast on the radio because I like the Radio 5 Live banter. The only tv commentator who has pleasant banter is Lee Dixon, but Lee cannot do all the games. All the rest I mute the sound. They sound like old records playing over and over again. I can always listen to 5 Live commentators with the tv on.
It is dull here this morning. The cats are happy I am up at last. Today is the longest day.
I met my friend for Waitrose coffee yesterday; That was nice and she treated me because I am not well and she understands the life of the elderly woman without children, at home alone with illness because she is one herself. Widowed three months ago and picking up the pieces she is a good person, funny, likes a good Tory as she is one herself, grew up in Dagenham with her father, a Smithfield butcher. She is a tonic to know and to not be on the side of the left ruining this country. I met her on a course during Covid and we became close friends in July 2024 when I stood in Waitrose having bumped into her in the vegetable aisle and I said out loud that Britain had gone down the drain because of the Labour victory. (At the time I had no idea of her political leanings). She hugged me that day and said she didn't know anybody who would dare to say it out loud. (She then told me she goes to a book club where she has to keep quiet because they are all lefties.) We have been close friends ever since. Her husband was alive at the time and he read my political poems and was a fan. I never met him but at my friend's request I would send him poems via Whats App because she said he would appreciate them whilst in the nursing home and later the hospice. He did.
Right, I promise to stop now.
I'm glad you and your friend have each other Rachel. Nice that her husband was a fan of your poetry too. The book you are reading sounds interesting. I've been finding out about lymphatic drainage recently and realising that a stagnant lymphatic system causes my legs to swell! There is so much information out there that some health professionals just don't want us to know. I hope Starmer resigns this week but I guess that is just wishful thinking. Who knows where the government will be at the end of the current term?
ReplyDeleteNot many poets write a poem of 16 verses called The Wreck of Britain! The book is more of a medical text book than I thought it would be but it is interesting to look at the hormone production bits. I don't think it will be bedtime reading. Lymphatic drainage is done by masseurs who specialise in it and is offered in many countries as a health benefit but not here. All massage helps though. I am not sure why you hope Starmer resigns but maybe you see something that I don't see. The current term ends in 3 years. I expect it to be Burnham.
DeleteI don't expect Andy Burnham to be much better but I do not want to see Starmer's face or hear his robotic voice much longer. He never reads the room. Whenever there are stabbings here we are told not to speculate and yet when a person stabbed multiple people in Scotland he comes out on X saying 'Absolutely appalling. No one should face violence on our streets. The suspect appears to be motivated be anti-Muslim hatred. I will not tolerate this - he will face the full force of the law...' Funny how he speaks out on this but not on repeated attacks on non-Muslims saying it would prejudice a fair trial.
DeleteBurnham will be it all and much much more.
DeleteI wish we could have a divine intervention.
DeleteBring back the days of the statesman who works for the common good and the stability of the country with integrity and wisdom.
DeleteIn some ways ,we are like a machine, if it works 'don't fix it'
ReplyDeleteI have found that many things can work ,for some people.
Mitherr in law, suffered from severe asthma and spent a lot of time in hospital and was heavily dosed with steroids for years, we saw the side effects. So when my husband suddenly developed asth,a, he refused them and also the inhaler. We usrd a homeopathic remedy, which worked for him.
About 15 years ago , he was diagnosed with Prosate cance, cancer of the bladder and cancer of both kidneys. Although we accepted surgery , we also worked with various complementary methods. The [rpstate surgery went ahead, but by the time they got round to the bladder surgery, the cancer had dissapeared. Then they scheduled the kidney cancers. Again when they webt to operate, the one kidney was now healthy. the other kidney cancer had reduced in size.
As I say different things work for different people.
At one time, the modern doctors were considered to be the charlatans, trying to change the old methods and ways. It was always so.
As for myself, when I asked why they had never wanted me to have a medical check up (they normally did this on all new patients) The Doctor said .
''Well you dont have time to be ill'
By the way , Rachel, as my father always said , It is not the longest day , it is the shortest night '
Kathy xx
Thank you Kathy for this informed comment. I think the medical industry instills fear in people and I know this from my own family some of whom do not question anything they are told. It is a quagmire to get into, almost like talking politics and of course best avoided in order not to cause rifts. Each to our own and to keep ourselves informed. As the medical drug industry flourishes so the health of the nation is taken out of our own hands. In the development of science which is to be applauded the loss is that basic instincts and treatments become overlooked.
DeleteYes, the shortest night is very true. Rachel xx
Andrew Neil pointed out that the Tories won an outstanding victory in Aberdeen, defeating the SNP. It was a more startling result than Makerfield, but has not been covered by the BBC. That is extraordinary.
ReplyDeleteBurnham has already been crowned, apparently, even though he has not made his appearance in Westminster yet, and is busily lining up his Cabinet.
Just heard that Starmer is expected to resign tomorrow. We shall see.
Yes, indeed, Aberdeen is a startling victory for the Tories and I was going to write about it but there never seemed to be enough "room" in the blog when I was so engaged with Makerfield and other things. I was not aware that the BBC haven't covered it but not surprised.
DeleteThe speed of the takeover in the Labour party by the Burnham side is obscene. He has hardly had time to resign as Mayor of Manchester. It feels like the country and the people mean nothing.
It was a very strange by-election in terms of numbers being drawn into Labour and clearly persuaded that Starmer has to go, and numbers being a higher turnout than the General Election.
DeleteI am just catching up with blogs after a computer-free weekend; it was simply too hot to sit at a device that creates even more heat. 36C during the day and never below 20-21C at night is a challenge, and this is going to last all of this week, too, with the day temperature possibly rising to close to 40C.
ReplyDeleteIt is so disappointing and frustrating when a doctor does not take his or her patients seriously. Of course some people seek attention more than proper medical advice or treatment, but surely those are a minority.
I am glad that you are getting better, Rachel. Hopefully the fevers will soon stop completely and you can get your energy back.
It is to be very hot here today.
DeleteWe are hearing more and more about doctors not taking patients seriously and the repercussions. Since 2004 we do not have a designated doctor which would give continuity and the doctor/patient relationship that builds over time. This has long gone and it can mean seeing a different practitioner on each visit and then they spend all the time looking at the computer screen reading what has been said by others before them and not looking or giving 100% listening to you.
Did you see my edit on the debit card post? I re-read the email and discovered the bank were checking I was in agreement with what Google had done! You were correct in saying that a bank would not "move" a card to a wallet.
Yes, I saw what you had added to,that post. Thank you for clarifying.
DeleteI started hearing how necessary cholesterol is when I started my animal based diet. Most doctors do not agree and 'safe' cholestral numbers have been lowered quite a lot. One of my tests had my cholesterol sky high and my doc wanted to put me on statins. I told him I'd fix it by myself and made sure 6 months later they were slightly lower. He's never mentioned it again. I've read so much about statins there was no way I'd take them but I'd pretend to so I didn't have any hassle.
ReplyDeleteThe NZ soccor team beat Egypt which of course I'm very happy about. The live broadcasts are in the small hours but we get replays the next afternoon. I don't mind already knowing the score. Takes the stress out of it.
I see Starmer has just resigned and Burnham seems to be the only candidate. I await to see reactions. From far and wide.
Good grief. Got that score round the wrong way. NZ lost 3-1
DeleteWill I watch the replay or won't I?
I listened to some of the New Zealand v Egypt match in bed. It sounded like Chris Wood v Mo Salah, both of whom were on fire. It is hard to be on a side to beat Mo Salah though, he is an outstanding player.
DeleteIn 2008 I said I would do any cholesterol control by diet. The doctor gave me 7 months and then a retest. When the results were lower nobody rang me so I rang the surgery to ask for the result and she said "oh, your results were fine and we don't bother to ring". I get hassle now because one doctor said they have changed their advice. Like you I just wish I had pretended to take them. And I am still here!
Delete