Monday, 15 June 2026

World Cup

 Following a bad day healthwise yesterday I almost pulled out of going to the W.I. cookery demonstration this morning.  However, I had this nagging voice telling me that I can't just give up everything because of this post-viral fatigue thing I have contracted.  So I went.  I felt a bit wishy washy as I entered the room but I made it and it was a positive step and gave me some hope that I can get over this.  

I was quieter than usual I suppose and felt like I was the new girl, although those days of being the new girl were well and truly over in January but they came back to me today for some reason.  Along with the virus and the being stuck in the house for almost four weeks some of my confidence seems to have been lost.   I looked around at the 20 or so faces in the room and felt like I was lost in a sea of happy people all of whom were much healthier than me.  This is probably totally rubbish and I am sure there were some there who are a lot more ill than I am.

Anyway I was glad I went and gradually I began to feel something like my old self although I did not have a lot of energy walking back to the car when it was over. 

The demonstration was on the topic of salads and we saw Waldorf salad being made, and Caesar salad and variations on both.  It was interesting and the finished salads looked good enough for any catering establishment.  At the end we were invited to share them but I didn't eat anything.  

After a rest at lunch time I decided I had to push myself again and cut the grass.  It is getting like a hayfield and I only have to sit on the ride-on mower.  I did it and felt well pleased that I had achieved a good cut and getting it under control.  

Later I cried when I watched Spain and Cape Verde Islands in the World Cup - tears of joy for Cape Verde who in their first ever World Cup held the favourites for the Cup and the current holders of the European Cup, to a  0-0 draw.  A draw of this nature need never be dull and very often they aren't.  This was no exception and in terms of a match to view with excitement and tension it was a much better watch than the Arsenal v PSG Champions League final, though I say it myself.  (If ever there was a dull Champions League final that was the one).  Cape Verde Islands thoroughly deserved the point and their 40 year old goalkeeper was the winner with some fine saves and definitely the man of the match.  It was hard not to be crying with joy and relief for them at the end that their night of glory wasn't taken  from them in the final minutes as we all thought that Spain were bound to snatch a winner.   They didn't.  It was a great football moment in the World Cup and for football in general.   

10 comments:

  1. You will get over it. Rachel and your joy in life will return. Just keep pushing yourself gently as you are doing. When living by yourself and being ill, its easy to fall back into the pit.
    I had 2 jabs yeterday, one for covid and a new one , RSV. I slept most of the afternoon and awakened in the night ,full of aches, feeling old, But this morning I woke up fine and the night time fears have left me.
    I am looking forward to the day again.
    You are on your way back.
    Hope you have a good day, Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not one to give up, never been allowed to so it is kind of ingrained but it still takes a 'push' each day. xx

      Delete
  2. Good that you managed to get out. My grass needs cutting but I have to build up the enthusiasm to do it. I wonder if things are retrograde for a lot of Aries right now. I am eating healthier and trying to keep a positive frame of mind but it is getting harder and harder by the day. I am glad you have the World Cup to entertain you Rachel. Seeing the underdog do so well and Spain not snatching a win at the very end is very satisfying. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very emotional game and as the game went on it became more and more so. Everybody was willing Cape Verde to keep up their defending. They had moments of sense too with long balls away from goal and it was a joy to watch. At the end Lee Dixon was also in tears. It was so great for the islanders of Cape Verde and they were so happy. I have no doubt that Spain will easily recover from this and go on to do very well but last night belonged to the Cape Verde Islands. I am only watching the early televised games and in fact this is the ony one I have watched from start to finish although I do enjoy a summer tournament of football. I wonder what the England game will be like. xx

      Delete
  3. It must have cost you a lot of energy to go to the WI meeting, but it sounds like you made the right decision. Slowly but surely, your energy will return, and with it your self-confidence to be among people - I am sure of that.
    Well done about the grass cut!
    I am not ill at all but it often takes me MONTHS to do even a minor thing that does not immediately need doing, such as sorting through my socks and tights drawer... I am ridiculously proud of myself that I have done that the other day, while I have absolutely no problem remaining on top of the general house work such as cleaning, washing, hoovering, ironing, changing bed sheets and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes me a while to get going in the mornings so it was tempting to say to myself "I can't go, I am not ready". However, I am pleased that I went and I did soon get over the feeling of being like "the new girl".

      I also take a while to do things that can wait and then when I eventually do them I am so pleased, like you say, ridiculously proud of myself. I recently prepared my tax papers and passed them to my accountant and felt a load lifted off my mind. That is one thing that I prefer to get out of the way but it was later for me this year.

      Delete
  4. I didn't see Cape Verde but I remember in the last cup cheering like mad for the teams of smaller countries.
    I wish Curacao had done better the other day playing against Germany. Lost 7-1. So glad they got that one goal. They only have a population of 155,000
    I have the flu at the moment. Thought it might be covid. But no .
    Lots of coughing and no damn energy and it's far too bloody hot to be ill.
    You do have great determination. Energy or not, you got out and then on that mower. Well done .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curacao didn't look that bad in what I saw of the game, Germany were just too good for them.

      Why do we all get ill in the hot weather! I hope you soon feel better. I am still feeling bad but continue to not give up.

      Delete
  5. I'm afraid I can't get too excited about the Football. I shall be interested to see who wins, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Linda says, it's fun rooting for the smaller teams. At this early stage of the tournament this is definitely the best part.

      Delete

Up date in the morning Tuesday

 What have I been doing since I wrote Stitch Up post on Friday?  I didn't post immediately after because I was waiting for people to cat...