Thursday, 16 July 2026

England Out

 I went to bed when Anthony Gordon was taken off.  The madness of the decision was enough for me to hit the sack and relax.  

This morning I have just watched the final 20 minutes to see the two Argentina goals. 

England's luck ran out, the luck they had in beating Mexico and the luck they had in beating Norway, both wins that were not on merit.   

Without Pickford's saves it could have been a lot worse. 

I hope the whinging doesn't start this morning.  The best team won.  

Tuchel disappoints me for the first time.  The English disease of fear of losing overcame him and no casting of fate to the wind and putting on the attackers for Tuchel either.    Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. 

Oh Ivan Toney and Rashford come on for the last five or so minutes.  Toney's first appearance in the World Cup he comes on with five minutes to go.   What an ask. 

My personal barometer is how the team sing the anthems.  Argentina had the passion in oodles and England had the look as if they couldn't give a toss.  Even if the stadium rang out with the anthems it was not with a lot of assistance from the England players.  Britiain is a country who hate themselves.   This is Britain. Flags not allowed. Pride not allowed. We are always going to lose because this is what we stand for and we are told this is what is to make us happy.  We are not a country anymore, we are to hate ourselves and be the losers that the government wants us to be.  We are learning to fulfil that easily by keeping quiet, pulling the flags down and doing as we are told, taking labels of far right and far left and accepting everything that once we would not accept in Britain is now to be accepted as the norm.  

 If I was the England manager I would forget about football when I first had my squad together and get them to write down what it is to be British for them, what they think of Britain, what effect seeing other teams singing their anthems has on them as individuals. I would get them to share that out loud with each other.  I would ask them what they want in playing for England and how much do they care, not just clichés but really make them think.   I would ask them to talk about things that may embarrass them about playing for England, if they have any.  I would clear the air and then get a level playing field.   All this behind closed doors.  Then I would do some dramatics with them, acting out what it is to be part of Britain and only Britain, not international politics like bended knees and political opinions. 

I would build up this side of things before I started on the football.  


Today looks to be a quiet, and a  hot day.  The sheets are in the washing machine and no plans for anything today.  The films continue to be not my kind of films so no visit to the cinema.  No shopping of interest, no money to spare for clothes except essentials like a pair of shoes which will be coming from Pavers chosen in the summer sale ready for winter.   A 50p vest was acquired at the charity shop this week.  I washed it and dried it yesterday.  It came from a skep of three items for £1.50.  I could only find one that would fit me.    

I have been out to vote for the Police Commissioner, got the newspapers, the shoes have been delivered and I am wearing them to break them in.   

I have changed the bed putting the washed bedding back on the bed straight off the linen line.  That is the joy of a good summer, the waashing dry and straight back to whatever it is meant for, wearing or bed, and skipping the airing cupboard. 




6 comments:

  1. A relatively quiet day for me today, too - my last working day for my main employer until the start of August! Often, the last day at work before a holiday is hectic, but I am lucky in that I have been able to keep on top of my tasks and so there are only a few lose ends to tie. Also, I will only be away for two weeks, and many of my colleagues will be away more or less at the same time, so all is good.

    I know my sister was disappointed with Tuchel, too, and the outcome of last night's game. Ever since Turkey was out, I have hardly heard anything from my neighbours, many of which are Turkish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw on another blog that you are coming to Yorkshire for your annual holiday next week. Enjoy yourselves. I think you are in for pleasant temperatures of low 20 degrees.

      I have been impressed with Tuchel and what he has done for the style of playing of the team but last night I was disappointed that he became too cautious and scared of losing overtook his decision making. Rachel xx

      Delete
    2. We missed most of the first half. Came back for England's goal. Why Gordon was replaced after that heaven knows.
      The end of the match was worth watching. Argentina were on the attack with passion. It was just a matter of time before they got the ball inside the goal. And then when they got the second goal we all cheered too. After that I changed sides. Glad Argentina is in the final

      Delete
    3. I watched the final 20 minutes this morning. Argentina were the better side and deserved victory. Tuchel just seemed to get that fear in him that we had to defend and defend and had no nerve to carry on with attack attack.

      Delete
  2. I still remember 1966 🎉 I was hoping in my lifetime I would see England win the World Cup again 🙏 We (hubby and I) have been reading your blog and you are spot on with your views. We never watch Main Stream Media and i just wish people would realise the state of the UK and also here in Australia. Both Countries have the worst PM's possible and I dread to think what the UK will be like when Andy Burnham becomes PM 😔 Unfortunately we are still stuck with the worst PM ever here in Oz. Have a good weekend Rachel. Best wishes Linda in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. This country is going down the drain like only Labour know how. We have seen it before under Wilson then Blair and now we have let them in again and so it will continue with Burnham. Sometimes I block it out altogether but it is impossible to get away from it. Thank you for commenting, and your comment on the Ann Widdecombe post. For those who hate people they show themselves at their very worst and there have been many haters showing themselves who clearly have no understanding of homicide and death at the hands of a monster. Rachel

      Delete