On Tuesday I went to see The Odyssey. This is the latest Christopher Nolan film. Oppenheimer, Tenet, are two of his recent epics that have done very well and I liked. I saw Oppenheimer many times because I enjoyed it so much and wanted to capture every detail of the script.
The Odyssey will probably attract me back again before the end of the summer. The first hour is rather slow though but you can't have it all.
It was filmed for IMAX screenings but it would be good on any big cinema screen.
The Odyssey is Homer's epic poem about the long journey home from the Trojan War of King Odysseus who has to battle monsters and angry gods and frightening witches, more gods and monsters and then the Sirens who are mythical half female half bird creatures out to steer sailors off course to their deaths. There were bits where I was actually covering my eyes.
King Odysseus is determinied that he will return to his wife and son waiting for him at home in Ithaca. It is in a nutshell the story of determination and the importance of home and family. The journey back takes 10 years and that is after 10 years of being at war.
There are a lot of interruptions to Odysseus's journey caused by the monsters and gods and some stupidity in the case of men who do not listen to or obey instructions and suffer the wrath of the gods. There are lessons to be learned here. During that time Odysseus loses his men, he meets Athena (Zendaya) who is in the film for all of about three minutes if you add her appearances together and unless you know a bit about The Odyssey original story I think you would be wondering what she is doing there at all. She is the goddess of wisdom in case you don't know and she is in her brief appearances there to help Odysseus.
Anne Hathaway plays Penelope waiting back at home and fighting off endless suitors who try to persuade her that Odysseus is never coming home.
Odysseus is played by Mat Damon, you may think a rather unlikely Odysseus but I think he actually nails it within the script he is given. I do not think that the script/dialogue is particularly strong. It is a bit disappointing in fact. However, the film is understandably for all and not just those who know Homer's Odyssey in its original version.
I think those who go not knowing the story would struggle a bit and maybe confused. But I could be wrong.
The final third of the film is the best bit and the music score is very rousing and had me enjoying the music above everything else and quite blown away by it. I am a bit of a softie for soundtracks. The ending is not exactly the same as Homer's ending but given a film needs a bit of a closure it is probably better than how Homer left it.
And when you have finished reading the original version as I believe many are now doing, you can then turn to Ulysses and see what James Joyce did with the characters. It is all very fascinating.
So did I like it? Yes but if you had asked me that in the first hour I might have said I was finding it slow and looking at my watch rather a lot. But stick with it, it gets better.
He was a brave man choosing 'The odyssey' as his subject matter. A daunting subject.
ReplyDeleteThe making of the film must have been worthy of being filmed in itisef.
DeleteI'm not familiar with 'The Odyssey' but from what you write I think the film sounds quite spectacular! I may have to read the book(s). Would you recommend reading Ulysses Rachel?
ReplyDeleteIn a word, no. Ulysses is extremely challenging and I only got through it with the help of tutor who took us through it a few years ago. If you do attempt it I recommend listening to the book being read aloud at the same time as you are reading. It helps. RTE on Youtube do a wonderful reading of the entire book. x
DeleteThanks for that Rachel! Didn't think of listening to it! x
DeleteNor did any of us until the tutor recommended it. You also need a copy of the book in front of you, I think it all helps. It is not like an ordinary novel, it is difficult.
DeleteDear old Odysseus, if he hadn't upset Poseidon he would have been home in 3 weeks. There's been lots of hype on greek TV of course and a documentary, in greek, on how it was made. I'm not watching TV much but I've read the news.
ReplyDeleteThere has been a lot of controversy about historical accuracy but there always is with films like this. There's also been a lot of criticism about the lack of greek actors.
But also it has been called a spectacular epic and Matt Damon's performance has been praised.
I'm sure it will be on the big screen here before the end of the summer and I'll definitely go and see it.
I've seen a lot of films about Troy and Odysseus return journey, mainly Greek and I've tried to read the original, translation. Time to go back and check out my book. A penguin if I remember rightly.
Thanks for the review. I
The film was made for all audiences and that is the reason given for the lack of Greek and the lack of authenticity in the language used, i.e. there is plenty of modern day language. . The film doesn't keep accurately to the original and jumps around with flashbacks but I think that is all excusable when making books into films, you have to have a bit of poetic licence or else it doesn't work. I have never seen any Odyssey performance before and it worked for me but it was a bit slow for the first hour. But then I started to get into it and enjoyed it. Matt Damon was great. x
DeleteThe giants were filmed in Findhorn in Scotland , I loved that beach
ReplyDeleteGenerally hated the film
It was repetitive and inclined to be tedious after a while until the crescendo. I noted whilst sitting through the credits alone that it was filmed at at least 6 different locations around the world.
Delete