Thursday, 13 August 2026

Eclipse and Mourinho

 I am supposed to have a massage later today but she messaged me last night to say she had an ichy leg.  I said to let me know later if I could still go, keeping words to the minimum as she finds texting in English a trifle difficult.  I believe she probably has an insect bite and nothing in the house to treat it and little knowledge of insect bites in England.  She said she is going to the doctor this morning.  Although my Thai lady has lived in England for over 10 years she has little understanding of English problems, all things medical and I have found that she will attend the doctor for any minor ailment.  I am hoping to hear from her later to say it was nothing more than an insect bite and I can go for the massage.  It is disappointing when I look forward to something only for it to be cancelled.  Such appointments are often my only contact with another person all week. 

I sat outside for the duration of the eclipse last night with the cats.  We were very underwhelmed. I think they wondered why I was sitting outside holding the colander.   I did notice that it went kind of dull but the birds did not stop like they did in 1999 but that was during the middle of the day and I remember it going eerily quiet and dark and cold.    Last night it was like sitting outside as the sun was going down on any day and had I not known it was the eclipse hour I probably wouldn't have noticed. 

My viewing over the past two nights has been the Mourinho documentary on Netflix.  It is well worth looking at whether you like or follow football or not.  I think it should be compulsory viewing for Burnham to watch it and see leadership in action with singularity and fortitude.  Mourinho is a great football manager, an unusual fellow and dedicated to football and the human condition.  

2 comments:

  1. I remember the last eclipse so well! As you say, it went eerily dark and cold, but the most eerie part for me was the total silence - not a bird to be heard, not a leaf seemed to be moving, and it was about 1:00 pm if I remember correctly. My coworkers and I all went out on the parking lot in front of the building to witness it (of course with the correct eyewear).
    The eclipse last night coincided with my Mum's birthday party; there were seven of us having a meal and drinks in a beer garden in town. Lovely place with large old trees, but to see the eclipse we had to walk up the road a little bit. My Mum had ordered special viewing specs for all of us and of course we were joking that the "show" was in honour of her birthday. In the end, she with two of the guests remained at the table (she was not that interested in the eclipse), while my sister and I witnessed the whole thing and were rather impressed with it. Two other guests joined us for the last ten minutes or so. Then, as you say, it was sunset anyway, no different from any other evening here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 1999 I had the correct eyewear and I stood outside my office on the pavement. The two men I worked with surprised me in saying they were not interested. It definitely did as we have both said, went eerily quiet, cold and dark. Of course it was the middle of the day so very noticeable but the quietness was spooky because I was standing in the middle of a city!

      Last night I used the colander for reflection on the wall so that was a new experience but apart from that it just felt like a normal evening with the sun going down. I was not able to look because I did not have the appropriate eyewear and I am very surrounded by trees so my view would not have been good. I think it was a bit special that it was your mother's birthday and I believe it is appropriate to make a wish during the eclipse, which I did!

      Delete