I went to see The End of Oak Street yesterday. It is a strange kind of film but enjoyable enough. I am not usually a fan of Anne Hathaway but I thought this was one of her best roles yet and she seemed made for it. Ewan McGregor plays Hathaway's husband. He was good too. I don't know much about him but loved him in A Gentleman in Moscow on Paramount a couple of years ago.
This is a film about a shift in time when a street suddenly overnight with light flashes goes back to the time of dinosaurs in the streets and the people start getting eaten by them.
Hathaway and McGregor have two children, a girl and a boy, and a dog named Starbuck. They are just a normal suburban family with the usual family problems of their age and time. Suddenly all family issues have to be forgotten while they survive the dinosaurs coming after them.
We see them surviving the attacks until McGregor gets eaten by a T Rex and disappears. Hathaway is Denise and I can't remember his name. The kids are Brian and Audrey. I don't think I knew any Audreys at that time, supposedly 1982 we learn although it looked more like 1972 to me and even then there weren't any teenage Audreys. However, that is by the by. It is funny in parts and made me smile at the nonsensicalness of being chased by pterdactyls in the streets and big wormy things in the house although it is all very serious in the film and not meant to be funny. The kids are great and the dog is too. I wondered how they train dogs for movies whilst I was watching.
Anyway in the end they find a way out of the dinosaur period and manage to jump back through a bubble to the present (1982) and return to normal again.
All things considered it was a pleasant enough afternoon out to the cinema and whilst I don't normally go for this type of movie with monsters, the dinosaurs were not really scary and Hathaway and McGregor did a lot to make this a movie worth seeing. How they ever got to doing it I will never know but I am glad they did. Given the poor assortment of movies on at the moment it was the best of a bad lot really and my visits to the cinema are currently at an all time low (ignoring 30 years of never seeing a movie at all of course).
Norwich has its own Oak Street, an important street in the city and where I first used to go out when I was 16 to a forbidden venue so the title made me think of those times too. I am sure many other people in Norwich will think of our own Oak Street. The street got cut in two by the inner ring road in the 1970s and was never the same after that anyway. Our own end of Oak Street.
The film sounds alright. Was it meant to be a comedy/black comedy? I just looked up Oak Street you mention, on Google maps. What was the forbidden venue? When looking at the location I was distracted by The Cat House Cat Cafe close by. Have you ever been there Rachel? I think I would love it! Hope you are having a nice morning. x
ReplyDeleteNo it isn't a comedy, black or otherwise. It is a serious film described variously as sci-fi, thriller and horror. The forbidden venue was a place called The Disco which was the roughest disco in Norwich of its time. I suppose now it would be a drug haunt but in those days there might have been a few purple hearts but not much else. It attracted the rougher edge of Norwich youth and was out of bounds for me and I never told my parents where I was going. I have never been to the Cat House Cafe. Much as I love cats, cat cafés don't appeal to me. xx
Delete'The Disco' has such a harmless name! Imagine if your parents found out that you went there! I like the idea of visiting the cat cafe but not with other people! I want the cats all to myself! x
DeleteIt went by many names and its official name at the time was The Industrial Club but it was just abbreviated to the disco. I did not get on with my mother at that time 15/16 years old. I think she had just about washed her hands of me. I left home as soon as I could.
DeleteI think parenting young teenage girls must be very difficult!
DeleteI agree! I was horrible but my sister was even worse! Ha ha!
DeleteI liked it , I suspect it was a homage to ET and Spielberg
ReplyDeleteIt reminded me of Vonnegut where he used the future to look back at the human condition.
DeleteThis sounds like good fun to watch, whether it was intended to be funny or not. I like both Hathaway and McGregor as actors, although I haven't seen that many films with them.
ReplyDeleteI am a bit puzzled at your consistent spelling of dinasaurs. I always thought it's dinosaurs, or maybe I have always got it wrong, using the German spelling (Dinosaurier).
I think Hathaway and McGregor were vitally important to the success of this film - it could have ended up a very second rate movie without them.
DeleteI am not familiar with writing dinosaurs, a word I don't have to use very often! I didn't look up the spelling as I should have done. You are correct in the spelling. Rachel
Could have just as well been my error - some words are very similar in both our languages but not exactly the same. A friend of mine who owned a translation agency called them "false friends".
DeleteI like "false friends" as your translator friend calls them. I must ask my friend on Saturday if she used the expression too as she was a translator. She often tells me snippets from her life as a translator. As for dinosaur, I just wrote it as it sounds. It now looks wrong of course!
DeleteI must say, this doesn't sound like the type of film I'd enjoy; these days very few are. Dinosaurs eating people? No thanks.
ReplyDeleteIt was the best of what was on offer that I hadn't already seen and I wanted an afternoon out. The films haven't been very good so far this year.
Delete