I watched the documentary on the Truro cardio-vascular surgeon last night, the one who froze his own legs and feet so that he could have them amputated. I remember hearing about him at the time of his arrest and now they have made this documentary about him. I watched it on Prime.
He had a fetish about amputations and not only did he hate his feet and want to get rid of them he also had a fetish for watching the Eunuch Maker videos of men having their penises and testicles cut off. He got very involved with the Norwegian who ran Eunuch Maker and enjoyed the videos and got sexual gratification from them. Those who used the Norwegian monster were mostly queers. The Norwegian has now been locked up. After the botched operations in a London basement the amputees minus penis and balls would end up in A&E on the NHS. I am puzzled as to why it went on without any flagging up from the NHS that men kept appearing with mutilations to their genitals but that is another story. Perhaps the NHS are not allowed to ask questions due to civil rights. He was eventually caught when one man who had taken part in a "procedure" decided enough was enough and told the police. This eventually led to them coming across Mr Neil Hopper, surgeon, Truro. Meanwhile Mr Hopper went about his daily work mainly doing limb amputations in Truro. How about that for a story.
Keep away from the surgeons knife as our grandmothers would tell us. Now hospitals are regarded by most very differently. I personally keep away from all things medical and do not go along with the fads of new knees, for instance, which seems to be popular and talked about like the weather. Any surgery is invasive, unnatural to the body and can come with complications and in some cases possible lies from doctors as this illustrates. Surgery should only be engaged as a last resort as many good, honest doctors will tell you. Get out the exercise bike before considering the knife.
Many in Cornwall are now wondering if their amputations were really necessary given the fetishes and gratification that the surgeon got from amputating limbs.
In order to get to the point where he had to lose his legs, he sat with his feet and legs up to his knees in an ice bath. He waited until his wife and children had gone out and sat for eight hours until his legs froze, went black. He requested and received information on how to do this from the Norwegian monster above.
His main crime was the money he obtained under false declarations of sepsis under a life insurance policy.
He has now been struck off and cannot work as a doctor anymore. His sentence is a couple of years in prison for the insurance fraud.
Apparently hating part of your own body is an extremely rare psychiatric condition. You hate a part of your body so much you want to get rid of it. Hopper had this and also the fetish about watching others losing their genitals. He was a married man with two children.
There are certainly some very strange folk around and you could just meet one of them in your local hospital.
And then there is Lucy Letby's former hospital married doctor colleague who died last week the day after being sacked for his exchanges of messages with Letby. They spent quite a lot of time together socially. He is now looking very suspicious. How he died is not being released at the moment and he has forever been not named for legal reasons. Quite why that should be seems unfair. Letby cried in court, the only time, when he let her down and didn't support her while all the time prior to that he had supported her and been the person she thought was her friend. All very puzzling. Now he is dead so I doubt we will ever know.
There are some very strange people and usually they appear to be completely normal until it's revealed that they're anything but! Sadly, it's usually after they're done enormous damage, as Shipman did.
ReplyDeleteYes, Neil Hopper fits that exactly in terms of appearing completely normal.
DeleteThese people are often shielded from their 'problems' by their colleagues not blowing the whistle. Lesley
ReplyDeleteWell he certainly had his colleagues in awe of him. I am not sure that they would have questioned any of his decisions because he was considered the best. The colleagues interviewed said thet were in shock at the revelations, felt very let down by him, and they never suspected anything. It is unlikely that it will be possible to find him guilty of mal-practice now after amputations have taken place although medical malpractice lawyers are currently involved in some cases.
DeleteThere are so many sick individuals. I think they must be possessed by the devil. This story is so disturbing to read. How on earth can someone get off on watching/doing amputations? I don't understand his motive being for money. What was he going to do with the money? Was he going to buy some state of the art prosthetic limbs?
ReplyDeleteHis motive wasn't money but he incidentally discovered that he could claim on his insurance. He was sick. But, yes, he spent £30,000 on the prosthetic limbs. He bought cars, had the house renovated and got through the whole sum of £500,000 within a year. Basically the fraudulent insurance claim was all he could be criminally charged with because he hadn't harmed anybody else. One of the questions on the insurance claim form had been "was any part of this injury claim (sepsis in his case) self-inflicted? And he answered no which was a lie because he inflicted the self-harm with the ice and caused the sepsis.
DeleteWe were brought up to trust doctors and the medical profession implicitly . It always seems shocking when we discover that they are all flawed mortals like us.
ReplyDeleteYes, there was never any doubt that they were anything but perfect. I did say recently in a post that there are good and bad doctors just like in other professions. However, some of these "flaws" seem to go even beyond that into the realms of macabre or as someone said, evil, and as if they are above the law.
DeleteI couldn't agree more, surgery comes with inherent risk and as a former registered nurse I have experienced it first hand. Your advice is sensible Rachel, seek alternatives.
ReplyDeleteThank you Karen.
DeleteAnd then there was the very sad case of the English girl who went to the USA to be tortured and murdered by someone she'd found online. THAT must be the weirdest fetish around!!!
ReplyDeleteI feel sorry for that girl who had tributes upon tributes heaped upon her by her family after her death. One wonders where they were when she was living and needed to hear them. I noted at the time she was a vegan which is a sign of personal control which I imagine she had had for some time. Vert tragic.
DeleteGoodness, what a story! I'd not heard about this until reading your post, Rachel. As we have said a few times before, reality can be far more bizarre than anything an author or script writer can come up with.
ReplyDeleteHere in Germany, it has often been said that our hospitals get too much money for things like knee and hip replacements and carry them out on patients who believe that the doctor is always right, even when those patients could have benefited much from physiotherapy and a change of personal habits, introducing exercise into their daily lives and eating better.
I hesitated for years to have my eyes operated, but eventually agreed to it under conditions lined out by me, and after having been advised by two different doctors and hearing personal recommendations from people who have had similar problems. And I know I have taken the right decision, well-informed and advised, as I now see better than I have done since I was about 12 years old.
In the circles I mix, which are people of similar age to me of course, the talk of hip and knee replacements comes up as regularly as the weather. My own brother rang me one day and asked me if he should have a hip replacement because of some hip discomfort. I was horrified and explained to him that firstly he should bear in mind that the operation is a major one. He talked it over with a doctor and fortunately the female doctor was on my wavelength and she also explaned to him that these decisions should not be taken lightly and it is a very serious operation and she recommended that he take a series of exercises! He came back to me and thanked me for setting him on the right road to listen to the doctor in the right frame of mind! Five years later he has no pain and still exercises and of course never had an operation.
DeleteLike you with your eyes, I am all for informed decision making with my own research.
Good morning Rachel
ReplyDeletesome years backm whwn I was 79, I had an accident which ripped the tendons in my leg. I had to have a knee replacement. My husband who had experience on orthopaedics, impressed on me that exercises were the key to recovery.
The night after the op, there were lots of needy patients in the ward , demanding pain killers,
So, instead of laying a wake listrning to it, I started the exercises and also repeated them as often as I could, with the help of ctutches I could get about and the nurses named me speedy Gonzales, I recovered quite quickly and was able to resume work within 3 weeks. I was back climbing ladders (with care)to do the pruning within 5 weeks/
When I was called to start physiotherapy, they asked me to do the various moves, they said , 'well you dont need us .'
I have had no trouble since,
If you take care of your diet, are determined, then healing can be speedy and good.
Knee replace,emt is a more serious op than hips, I understand.
Kathy xx
Surgeons and doctors, come in 'many shapes and sizes'
Yes, they do Kathy. I am pleased that your new knee saved you and enabled you to continue working. I have heard from you before on this. As I have repeated here now several times, there are good doctors and bad doctors. There are also occasions like you and Lynne, below, where operations are vital to maintain a quality of life worth living. xx
DeleteI’d not heard about that surgeon, truly horrific.
ReplyDeleteAlmost nine years ago to the day I had a hip replacement. I wasn’t overweight and I was reasonably fit.The doctor didn’t want to do a replacement as I was only 57 and so we went down the physio route but nothing could shift the pain. Eventually it was agreed to replace and I have honestly never looked back, I still think it was the best thing I ever did as it gave me my life back and touch wood, I’ve not had a single problem since.
That surgeon was a real weirdo. I am pleased for you with your hip. Yours and many thousands or millions of hip replacements have been carried out and given people a new lease of life. Thanks for the comment.
Delete