Saturday, 8 August 2026

Saturday

 I am enjoying the heatwaves. I know from the small blog circle I follow that not many people do.  I cannot think of one who does.   I act in a sensible way and stay indoors out of the heat and I do not try to do otherwise.   I go out as early as I can for my newspaper, depending on what time I have the energy to get up. 

I met my friend C for our Saturday rendezvous.  It was especially good today as I went over the garden party of last Saturday.  She knows all the people involved but as you know she was absent.  It took over an hour of discussion. 

We eventually got back to our week's activities, human conditions, and then we got on to the current political situation.  All in all our analyses took almost three hours. 

I wore shorts and a tee shirt.  This is acceptable for the supermarket café.  

When I returned home I immediately began rearranging furniture.  I am not pregnant.  I seem to recall that major events like furniture rearranging can relate to pregnancy and nesting but I could be wrong.  Maybe it is just change in life.  C messaged me to say she was cleaning the fridge.  We energised one another. 

I have just turned a corner in the Long Covid and Thursday appeared to be that day.  I am hoping.  I cleaned for the first time in three months, other than cursory clean of the toilet seat during that time. 

I rearranged the furniture in the breakfast room, swept first, mopped and cleaned the room and every inch of the toilet.  I have not been able to do this since May 22nd when I returned from Azerbaijan, two days after which I went down with Covid.  For the next 10 weeks I have been unable to lift my arms or stir my porridge. A seat has appeared in the otherwise barren kitchen to save me when on the verge of collapse.  I took the Turkish rug outside and it is on the lawn.  I thrashed it and beat it. 

 Last Thursday I felt better all of a sudden. The troll will be checking this on his Apple Watch to see if three month long covid is by definition possible. 

I don't care about that, I am pleased to feel better and I can walk between rooms without pausing for breath. 

I have a hula hoop that has been delivered from Amazon.  That is the next thing to do and then I take up hula hooping and see if I can do it.  I was whizz at it as a teenager.   The hula hoop comes as a kit and I have to join it up to form a hoop. 

I have taken two days to tell you about the recovery and I probably should have waited longer but it is exciting to be able to walk through the house without near collapse and be free of  not knowing how I will feel when I wake up, whether the heart will pulse fast and whether I will sweat so much I cannot walk and whether I will have the energy to stand out of the bed.  I am keeping fingers crossed that this is not a false dawn and that I have recovered.   

Cro has suggested that the troll may be a AI robot.  If only that were true.  Sadly I know this is not the case.   He has been stalking me for 10 years.   He is definitely a he and not a she and he loves to fact check and run his own ChatGPT. His latest bit of enjoyment for himself via his techy watch.    It's a bit like the handover from Malaysian air traffic control to Vietnam on flight number MH370 that never actually happened.  I wish he would leave me alone but as the great and the good say "I can't be bothered with you" so I gain strength from that message of other bloggers and friends.   Never doubt yourself. 




20 comments:

  1. So glad you are feeling better Rachel. I think once we start going out and meeting people it helps in our recovery from illnesses. I don't know if you remember but I got a hula hoop some months ago. I don't use it everyday but it makes exercise fun when I do it and set myself mini challenges. Every now and then I change the furniture around. I think it is just wanting a physical change of perspective. Have a great evening Rachel. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I mentioned your hula hoop in a reply to Lesley's comment yesterday, Potty. I knew you had one. She also has one. I must fix it up tomorrow but after the room change and cleaning I wanted to sit and watch tv and eat my tea and unwind. I thank you for your comments. Rachel xx

      Delete
  2. I too hope that you have recovered from whatever it was that you had, Rachel, Covid or not, long or short. Being under the weather is never fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I hope I have some better health now. Rachel

      Delete
  3. I remember the troll who called herself 'Chloe'. I'm sure that she (or he) kept notes about me, quoting things I'd written years before. It was a strange thing for anyone to do. Totally obsessive!
    I also remember when I had the exact same symptoms as you a couple of years ago, even walking a few metres was exhausting and I'd have to sit down. I simply couldn't understand what had happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I think they call it post viral fatigue. The lack of energy is quite frightening isn't it? I hope it has gone and I can live a more active life again. I remember Chloe, i think she may have been the same person.

      Delete
  4. I'm so pleased that you feel, at last, the Long Covid symptoms have gone. People who have not experienced this too often dismiss it but I have seen it in action and it's no fun or excuse to be lazy or do nothing.
    I hope the hula hoop work out works. Mine is still in the post as I don't have Am. Prime and my friend is getting it for me. I think that we had a rack of them at school in the Gym and I never used them then.
    Trolls must be a pain. They cause some folk to stop blogging and I dislike the idea of them achieving what must be their aim. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so because some days I have not been able to even lift my arms. Some of us are red rag to a bull with regard to troll man and that's it really. I hope you soon get your hula hoop. I use Amazon more than I used to as it is convenient. Shops mean driving miles, not being sure of getting what I go for and not finding helpful assistants which is a significant reason for using Amazon now. When I was in Blooms to buy the strimmer I could find nobody to help me so I went home and ordered one on Amazon and had it 24 hours later. I read the reviews to make the decision.

      Delete
  5. I, too, am pleased that your post viral symptoms have moved on elsewhere. That feeling of permanent exhaustion is so miserable and depressing. Now you can carry on enjoying your life again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I am right. It has been two days of doing things without thinking which is how it should be. I might even book the holiday for next year!

      Delete
  6. It is good that you seem finally to have recovered from long Covid. My daughter's young teenage neighbour has been suffering for four years and cannot attend school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three months has been enough of not really knowing what is wrong, I hope that mine has gone for this time at least. It is the second long post viral fatigue that I have had in two years and it isn't nice, especially when the doctors keep telling you there is nothing wrong which makes you feel even worse.

      Delete
  7. Glad to read you've got your energy back. You have true stamina to be doing so much cleaning in hot weather. I just remove cobwebs, wipe away too obvious dust and swiffer the floor when feet get dirty.
    We went shopping at 7.30am yesterday. It was cool and quiet and perfect for coffee too. By 10 when we left the scene was crazy, roads and shops teeming.
    Good luck with the hula hoop. I tried one a few years ago. Just couldn't get the hips moving fast enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt full of life yesterday like I haven't for ages. Apart from thrashing the rug on the lawn I was in the cool of the house. I really only did one room and the loo. I left the rug out overnight and admit it was too hot to be out there beating it for long. I go out early for my paper to avoid the heat later and then find everybody else has the same idea. I have been watching you tube videos on hula hooping. The slender fit girls make it look easy!

      Delete
    2. A tip on the hula hooping Rachel. Once you have it in motion, you only have to make small movements back and forwards and not rotate your hips in circles. The most difficult part (for me) is keeping your arms up and out of the way!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Simone. Some videos say back and forwards and one girl said swaying side to side! I remember as a teenager it was the small movements back and forwards. xx

      Delete
  8. Just this morning as my husband and I were setting off on an early hike in the Black Forest (well before it got to 34C or so again), I thought „I must ask Rachel how she is doing health-wise, whether she is still suffering from Long Covid“, and here you are!
    I am so pleased to read that you have turned a corner now. Not being well enough to clean for so many weeks would be my personal nightmare. I guess I‘d ask my sister for help and at least do the heavier bits such as hoovering, but fortunately so far I have needed help only once so far, after my big eye operation when I was forbidden to do anything like that.
    It is so good that you and your friend are on the same wavelength and meet regularly for discussion and catching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoovered and pushed the furniture back before and after the chimney sweep came. Apart from that my cleaning has only been that which is necessary and changing the bed linen regularly. Thank heaven for washing machines. I am not so good today as yesterday but hopefully I will get more back to normal over the coming days. Thank you for thinking of me. Rachel

      Delete
  9. Was there a reason for choosing o travel to Azerbaijan - family connections? Historical interests? I would choose to go to Uzbekistan, once my heart can deal with aeroplane blood pressure🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to see many things that Azerbaijan offered particularly the origins of the oil industry and oil drilling in the Caspian Sea and inland. I saw all of this. The architecture of Baku and particularly the wave building of Zaha Hadid. I wanted to see the wealth of the city built on oil and I wanted to see the remnants of the links with the Soviet Union. I also wanted to see the Silk Road and textiles. A country of contrasts. I am also interested in agriculture because of my farming background. I saw all the things I wanted to see and was enthralled. I travelled across to the enclave, or exclave, of Naghchivan which is cut off by Armenia through which we were not allowed to drive so had to fly. This is still much more Soviet than the rest of Azerbaijan. I found it one of the most interesting country's I have ever visited and was not disappointed and it was only a 6 hour flight from London. Thank you for the comment Hels. Rachel

      Delete

Holiday 2027 Fixed

On Monday I was feeling the best I have felt for some time.  I had nothing planned for the day and considered the cinema but decided against...