Monday, 24 August 2026

Up-Date on Tech and Peace and Quiet.

 From late on Friday night, through the weekend, I did not have internet connection.  Living where I live I do not have mobile phone signal, not even one bar, so I felt very cut off for 48 hours.  I also had no television because my television is all streamed through Wifi.   So it was very quiet here and I am not a person who likes radio. 

BT kept in touch with messages that did get through to me to inform that the problem was in the locality affecting many people and they were working on it.  I went out Sunday lunchtime to park where there was a mobile phone signal and pick up messages and even paid a bill via my bank app that needed attending to.  It felt a bit weird sitting in my car doing these things.  I sat for an hour and thought a lot about life without technology. I returned home and felt liberated that the house without technology is more peaceful and less intrusive. 

The long and the short of it is that the two day break of not having any technology made me think about quite a few things and I decided that for a while at least I am taking a break from it.   I have the television back so my evenings are much the same as before. I am reading and doing things in the house and I do not want to be distracted by my phone notifications and it feels like I do not want to be distracted by it ever again but I am sure that is a bit pie in the sky and just how I am reacting to my tech free weekend at the moment and it will probably change.   But for now I am staying quiet.  I have been out for my newspaper as usual and I am up to speed with the news but my phone is not taking a big part in it.  I am reading, writing and cutting out stuff to keep.  A new scrapbook was delivered Friday (just at the right moment)  and I am filling it rapidly. It just feels like more of a simple life than phones, lap tops and all that stuff that comes with it. I have not lost interest in what is going on, I just need to process it differently.  

I just thought I would post this so that those who might wonder where I am will know I am ok.  Thank you for reading.


13 comments:

  1. I've checked on your blog multiple times over the weekend Rachel. I thought it unusual that you hadn't posted but then thought you was waiting for people to catch up with reading the latest post. I am not looking at 'X' because it has got me into a right old state worrying about everything. I am away from tomorrow so won't be on social media until September. A new scrapbook arriving sounds wonderful! I am looking forward to being out and about and gathering inspiration. I hope you will post again. Enjoy some time without the technology. It will do the both of us the power of good. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it felt like stepping back in time before the days of technology. I didn't even have a landline because BT recently put that onto Wifi too. So I worried on Saturday about how cut off I was. However, on Sunday I came to the realisation that it was in fact very peaceful and once I stopped stressing about not having any connection to the outside world I was ok and set to with the my scrapbook. I have always kept scrapbooks but stopped when P left for some reason. I have picked up where I left off and starting afresh and it feels good. So no blogging for a while. Have a good holiday and thanks for popping in to check on me. Rachel xx

      Delete
  2. We had a rubbish internet service here, so we changed to Musk's Starlink. It works perfectly, and isn't at the whim of breakdowns. We don't have TV here, but I have a plug-in thing which is loaded with hundreds of films, comedy shows, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. BT has been reliable here, first outage in years so no complaints.

      Delete
  3. No blogging for a while? Why I perfectly understand how much more peace and quiet you have without some of your usual means of communication, I will miss your posts.
    Having said that, O.K. and I will be off on our annual September hiking holiday in the mountains on Sunday, so maybe by the time I return, you will have resumed blogging, too.
    Much as many messages on my phone can get on my nerves (I then simply switch it to "night mode"), I need it for my train tickets and checking timetables. Also, I wonder what I'd do in an emergency if I didn't have a working landline or internet acces/mobile reception. Living in a semi with seven households altogether, I guess I would tget in touch with one of my immediate neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I stopped stressing about not having a phone signal I took it the other way and celebrated my freedom.
      Enjoy your holiday and, as you say, I may well be back posting again when you get back!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your freedom. Hope you'll be back now and again with an update and your particular commentary on this world

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its good to have a change.
    Hope you enjoy yourself.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free of the blog is a good feeling for a while.

      Delete
  6. Rachel, this is your time, enjoy the silence and do what makes you happy. You have many interests that we have had the privilege of hearing about and seeing over the years, fill your days with what brings you pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been reading for a long time? Thank you. (I have posted again because of something in the news that troubled me).

      Delete

Films Football and Fun

 I went to see the Social Reckoning movie yesterday.  This is the latest documentary/drama, with an emphasis on drama over documentary, on Z...