Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Books and films and dentists

 This morning I have been to the dentist for the six-monthly check up.  All is well.  We discussed Azerbaijan because my dentist is well travelled, has friends (dentists) in Baku and enjoys talking about travel.  He had told me six months ago that if I had any teeth problems whilst there I was to phone him first in England and he would then put me in touch with one of his Baku dentist friends.  That was very reassuring and a friendly touch from him.  My dentist is from South Africa.  We discussed my next trip and he has been on the train across from Denmark to Sweden and highly recommended it.  He thinks my choice of holiday is a good one.  He is just back from China.  He teaches dentistry all over the world and works in private practice as well which is how I get to see him.  As I have said before, I feel very fortunate to have him as my dentist in a small town in rural Norfolk.  

The day here is very warm - 23C - and there is no sun but spots of rain, so a grey and very muggy day. 

Whilst out visiting the dentist I called into the charity shop and found a copy of Anthony Trollope's The Last Chronicle of Barset.  I have not read any of the Barsetshire novels but am hoping that I can read it as a stand-alone book.  I also purchased Penelope Fitzgerald's The Gate of Angels.  It is a long time since I read a Penelope Fitzgerald, or saw one in a charity shop, so was pleased to pick it up for 50p.  This particularly book was shortlisted for the Booker prize in 1990.  She is a splendid writer and has won the prize three times. 

I am currently reading Rose Tremain's Colour which is a very melancholic read about the New Zealand gold rush in the 1860s and a couple who went from Norfolk to New Zealand in search of a better life.  Rose Tremain is not one of my favourite authors, I find her a bit heavy going in strange subjects,  but she can craft a good story, is a former student of the University of East Anglia creative writing course and  Chancellor of the university. 

Yesterday I went to see Sense and Sensibility at the cinema, the latest film version of the Jane Austen novel.  I enjoyed it for what it is, broody and romantic and sometimes even fun and funny.  I have never seen any other versions and since having to read Austen at school have never wanted to go near a Jane Austen novel. 

10 comments:

  1. School reading can - and has for me - ruined a few of the classics. Spending such a long time going over and over the text for an examination has meant that I shall never read Shakespeare again and the thought of Paradise Lost ! Well words fail me. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having to hang on to every word of Pride and Prejudice at school had what could be called a profound effect on me! I never wanted to read another Jane Austen! Now I have seen Sense and Sensibility I can look at her in a different way as a writer and might even consider buying it and reading (some of it) if I saw a copy for 50p.

      Delete
  2. I might look for Rose Remains book. Or I may not. That Bruce Chatwin book of short stores selected by him was very hard to read. I had little idea of the historical characters and situations. He says they're half fiction and half non fiction. They're also very obscure and his language doesn't help. I got half way through. It's going back.
    My great grand parents went out to NZ for the gold rush in the late 1800s. My grandmother was born there. I think I've already read enough about it all.
    I need more whodunnits right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tremain book was a story of crue,ty and hardship in the gold rush and at times I thought I wouldn't finish it. To be honest I didn't even know that New Zealand had had a gold rush. Tremain had obviously researched it well to write this.
      With Bruce Chatwin I didn't enjoy his writing and found his memoir preachy and a bit smug.

      Delete
  3. Hello Rachel, the google invitation to your blog - once again, thank you very much for thinking of me! - strangely enough was classified as spam in my googlemail inbox, which is why I only found it today.
    Now I am catching up with your recent posts.

    Sense & Sensibility is a great novel, and I really enjoyed the 1995 film. You can read my review here if you are interested:
    https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2015/06/sense-and-sensibility-film.html

    You really are fortunate with your dentist. How kind of him to have offered to put you in touch with friends in Baku, had it been necessary.

    We‘ve been having warmish and humid weather here, too; there was a bit of rain over night but when you look at the fields etc., it‘s all still rather dry and dusty. It was warm enough yesterday afternoon for us to want ice creams in town! Maybe the last time this year; I‘m not keen on eating ice cream outdoors when it gets much cooler than 25C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meike, some people have not had much luck with the invitations and Blogger have rejected them for no known reason. Simone is unable to comment now even though we have tried with the invitation three times.

      I never saw the previous Sense and Sensibility but I liked this one a lot and had no comparisons to make which can be a good thing.

      I am enjoying the good weather and the longer it is good the less burden there is on me to heat the house which living alone is a burder I carry alone.

      Delete
  4. Hello Rachel , thank you for inviting me to read your blog , which l love to read as it is so interesting and informative . l have recently listened to all the books in the Barsetshire Chronicles series on the borrow box app which allows you to read and listen to e books and audio books through your library services for free. l really enjoyed every book , l think you would get more from the books if you read them in order as you learn more about the characters who reappear in later books .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen. Interesting to see what you have said about the Barsetshire books. I don't think I'll read back ones first so I will have to get into the one I have. I remember when Weaver read the Olivia Manning books in the wrong order and told her this was crazy and she said it made no difference to her enjoyment so I am pretty sure I will be ok with the last one of the Barset books without the first. It is a very thick volume in any case and it is going to take me a long time to read it and there will no time for me to read any of the others.

      Delete
  5. I came late to the Barsetshire books, prompted by the TV adaption many years ago now, but thoroughly enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about 60 pages in to the one I have, a thick book of two volumes in one I believe, and thoroughly enjoying it.

      Delete

Films Football and Fun

 I went to see the Social Reckoning movie yesterday.  This is the latest documentary/drama, with an emphasis on drama over documentary, on Z...