Thursday, 30 October 2025

Activities

It is going to be a lovely day today with clear blue sky and sunshine.  Tomorrow is going to be at least 15C and so we are back to better weather.  What a difference it makes.   

I am out today to the Creative Arts group and we are being entertained by two wonderful young dancers, more like acrobats cum ballet really. They are called the Vanhulle Dance Theatre.   We all love them and they come to our group annually.  The young girl is Belgian and her husband is English.  They choreographed a new routine last year and we helped with input in the form of words which were written down when they gave us a short extract from what they were developing at the time and asked for our help.   It was all in its infancy at the time but they have recently toured Europe including it in there show and now we are to see the finished product ourselves this afternoon.  I am looking forward to it.   The Creative Arts events are held throughout Norfolk during the month and all the activities they put on for our town are always over subscribed and full with waiting lists.  It is wonderful that activites like this are organised for those living outside the city and in the afternoons too.  

I am getting older now and rarely go out at night and am adjusting to going to earlier cinema showings so that I can get home before dark.  Night driving is no longer any fun with the LED headlights blinding me.  It is becoming a very serious problem and car manufacturers are still joyfully advertising their new cars with the LED spec.  Do they not see that these headlights are causing a big problem to drivers?

As we who live alone know, if we want to not be alone all day everyday we must get up and do things, join and organise activities for ourselves.  That is the way to be and to have a purpose in life after work finishes and we are in retirement.  

Yesterday morning I went to the tyre company and had my tyres checked for winter.  That was one way I saw and spoke to someone and of course helped to reassure myself for winter driving.  I have tried at least.   I followed that with shopping and buying ahead to get supplies in in case of bad weather.    I then came home and did an hour on the jigsaw.  I then spoke to my neighbour who was bringing my bin in for me.  We had a long chat because he is just back from Brazil where apart from a lovely wildlife holiday he also suffered a heart attack and cardiac arrest and got flown home on an emergency rescue flight.  He is making a good recovery and will look after my cats when I go away next year.  He was quite upbeat about the experience and said that mostly he cannot remember any of it anyway and he was well cared for in Brazil.  Judging by the speed of recovery he must have been and very lucky to have survived too.  The first heart attack happened in his hotel and the cardiac arrest was in the hospital. 

 After 4 O Clock  I closed the curtains and settled down and then a friend rang me who had missed me at the Lifelong Learning Group course that started last week.  I chatted to her for an hour about why I have left them behind, resigned from the committee and moved on.  This is one group that I no longer want to be part of at least for the time being.  I may go back to them one day.  I have enough going on without them and the masters degree course changed me to want more relaxation than forever going to history talks and adult education tutors etc.   

This feels like a good point to have reached in retirement now that I can actually make choices and have a life where there is enough going on to give me those choices and fluidity.   I don't want to be tied down and after two years of university I am enjoying freedom.  

Sunshine makes an enormous difference.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Holiday 2027 Fixed

On Monday I was feeling the best I have felt for some time.  I had nothing planned for the day and considered the cinema but decided against...