Following my month of ill health I clutch each good day that I have and, even if the day is not quite so good as the day before as it was this morning, I still grab at it and make myself do something.
Today I went to see Bugonia, the latest movie from Yorgas Lanthimos, he of The Favourite and Poor Things and the Killing of the Sacred Deer. He is not a movie director for everybody and his films can be described as wacky. I love them.
This one was no less wacky than any of the others although I think I enjoyed Poor Things better and even went to see that one more than once.
So this is not everybody's cup of tea and anybody who did not like another wacky movie, Everything, Everywhere All At Once, is probably not going to like this.
Emma Stone is a favourite of Lanthimos and she does not let him down. I love her in these wacky films.
The story is of a kidnap and two cousins, one a bit dippy but you will warm to him, who kidnap Emma Stone who is a CEO of a pharmaceutical company. Nothing is ordinary in Lanthimos movies so don't just think of an office block in New York with ordinary things going on. The dippy cousin is led by his more mad non-dippy cousin who is very dangerous and he has some insane ideas about the head of the pharmaceutical company and aliens.
I loved the music score and it gave the events a great edge.
I loved the movie although its bizarre ending is puzzling although very much a Yorgas Lanthimos ending.
In conclusion, I loved it all and a visit to the cinema to see such a bizarre movie is a great escape from the daily drudge of life, the lighting of the fire, the cooking of the tea, the making of the bed, the feeding of the cats, the cleaning of the lavatory and the four walls of the house.
I had the chance to see it last week with a friend, I refused, I know I’d hate it
ReplyDeleteLanthimos is a bit of a Marmite director.
DeleteNow voyager is doing the rounds again, i would recommend it
DeleteOk
Deletelol xx
ReplyDeleteOld classicsl films are amazing but I don't enjoy watching them.
Delete