Tuesday, 23 December 2025

Things

 Yesterday I went to see The Housemaid which I basically enjoyed and it made a good afternoon out at the cinema.    If you want to read more about what I thought see my answer to Meike's comment on yesterday's post.  

I arrived an hour early at the cinema as I usually do so that I can have a leisurely coffee, read the papers and do some writing.  I am usually an hour and half early in fact because my trains only run hourly so my timing for film starts tends to be on the earlier-than-I-need-to-be side of things.  This suits me fine and I am always happy to sit people watching in the café if I have finished whatever I am doing.   

It was a lovely day out although I did not enjoy the drive back from the station in the dark.  I reset my headlamps when I got home as I believe they were not set to light up far enough in front of me.  I set them up using the house wall to shine them on as my guide and hopefully next time I am out in the dark I will be able to see further up the road on dip.   I avoid night driving as much as possible but in winter it is obviously not that easy to avoid when coming out of the cinema just before dark at around 4pm and then driving  the last section of my journey at around 5pm!

I did all my exercises yesterday before I went to the cinema, outside,  and for some reason felt very wide awake when I got home again and after lighting the fire I went straight into the floor exercise of getting up unaided.  I have to feel in the mood for this and for some reason when I walked into the house last night I felt very much up for it.  I know that if I fell there would be a lot of calming to do first before tackling standing up and all the videos stress this, the importance of gathering yourself, calming and breathing before anything else.  It would certainly not be so easy in a "fall" situation because I know from falling in the past there is a lot of shock involved above everything else. 

Today will be a quiet day and if I can stir myself later I will go out for a paper.  If I didn't shop between now and Christmas Day it wouldn't really matter although I would probably end up making my porridge with water for a couple of days as I am almost out of milk.  I have a choice of a lamb chop or a steak for  my Christmas  Dinner and I have signed up for something on Zoom in the afternoon.  I really don't know what it is but seems to be non-religious.  I was invited by the WEA who I have done many courses with to join in and as it is free I thought "why not?" and registered.  I have the code and password and it is a live event.  Well it will make a change for Christmas Day for me.  I like the experience of the day on my own, it has been like this for eight years now and each year I enjoy myself with different meals that I have chosen and having radio or tv or just nothing days.  For the past two years I have had assignments to write for university and that is something I will not miss this year.  It is a very free feeling to have.  

(You may recall that I mentioned that the Thai lady had invited me for Christmas lunch.  Well as there are no trains here on Christmas Day it was always going to be difficult for me and so I had decided to say thank you, but no.  As it turned out she told me last week that her daughters have arranged a surprise for her and are taking her out so it all changed anyway), 


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review of the film in reply to my question on your previous post. I doubt it is something for me, but I can imagine having a look if/when it becomes available on any of the streaming services I subscribe to.

    Your Christmas sounds very relaxed, and I absolutely understand how free it feels NOT to have an assignment to write for a change! Good job you did not arrange going to lunch at the Thai lady's; it would have been something of a disappointment if she'd had to cancel the invitation.

    Sticking to the exercises and doing them regularly is a good - actually the only - way to avoid more serious consequences should you fall again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For two years I was always writing my assignments over holiday times, Christmas and Easter and Summer. Whilst I enjoyed the challenge at the time I am now happy not to have to do them again!

      The only time I have fallen was when I was about 50 and I tripped on an uneven pavement and fell very hard on to my face, fully prone, and my outstanding memory of the event is the shock I experienced which was awful, I was literally shaking. I was able to get up myself but people did come to my aid. I can understand why the videos emphasise the necessity for calmness and breathing slowly before attempting to get up.

      Yes, you are correct. I am glad that I had already decided that I could not go to the Thai lady because of no trains running before she told me about her change of arrangements on Christmas Day.

      Delete
  2. I hated the Housemaid lol
    Ps
    Happy Christmas dearHeart 🩷🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete