Tuesday, 30 December 2025

Health and puzzles

This is the jigsaw,  Flower Market in Amsterdam, which is on the go at the moment.  I have now finished all the flower section and top greenery sections.  It is a 1000 piece and is a great one to do.  Just tricky enough to be a challenge but not so tricky to be frustrating.  The houses await and they are all very similar so another challenging part of the whole. 

Yesterday I went out for some vitamin
C based foods and came back with tomato juice from which I can get most of my daily needs plus green peppers, high in C.  I am not fond of citrus fruits.  I have half an apple a day.   I realised that my extra dry skin is possibly due to not enough C vitamin.  I read that this can quickly be rectified within weeks if not days so here goes. 

I think the latter part of 2025 has been about health and fitness and I will carry this on now as fortunately the exercise has become part of my daily routine and the diet has improved a lot since October and the mystery illness.  Daily life, tongue, hands, nails,  feet, skin, visible things, did not feature in the doctors visits just blood tests and they were supposed to hold the secrets to my health, good or bad.  The verdict each time was "nothing abnormal found".  I am glad medicine advanced to include the blood tests but I wish that the advances had not thrown everything else out with the bathwater.  


I see that the latest breakthrough in cancer cure is a drug given to dogs to kill parasites.  I hope this is the cancer breakthrough we have been waiting for.

It is a shame that in all the blood tests one is frequently called in for vitamins are not part of the normal process of testing and one practically has to beg for vitamin tests apart from B12 which is in the normal blood test.

I did my exercises yesterday, cleaned the oven which necessitated getting down on the floor and up again and this time for the task in the flesh so to speak rather than in exercise conditions.  I found the hard floor not nearly so pleasant as the carpet for this but I did at least manage to get down and then up although it is as yet not done with swan like ease or elegance.

The sun is shining, I have had my tomato juice so the day awaits.  I have done Wordle, Codeword and More Wordle.  



8 comments:

  1. That's a great looking jigsaw puzzle! So detailed and interesting. I've heard that vitamin C is best taken with zinc but don't know how true this is. I have a few blueberries on my breakfast each morning but have cut down on my fruit consumption quite a lot. I am staying positive and concentrating on hobbies, eating less and doing a few exercises each day. It seems to be having the desired effect! I've done Wordle today but still need to stand on alternate legs for 20 seconds and then swing each leg from side to side for twenty seconds. It really is helping with my balance. Have a great day Rachel. Bright sky and chilly. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simone, I just checked and if you are taking vitamin C supplements it says zinc supplements help the absorption. I am not deficient in anything zinc listed but just dry skin so I think the tomato juice daily will help. I have always had pretty good balance and I can still do the tree (yoga) pretty well. I have been in the garden for an hour this morning. Enjoy your day too. xx

      Delete
  2. Well, that's good new that your diet and exercise endeavours are helping with your health and fitness.
    I do try to eat healthily and walk everywhere, but I should probably make more of an effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing the daily exercises since September and am definitely feeling the benefit. I started a few tweaks with the diet in October and hopefully I am reaching a better place. xx

      Delete
  3. Well done on all of it - the puzzle, the exercises and the vitamins.
    I agree; blood tests are all good and useful, but they should supplement the base for a diagnose, not replace it.
    My former GP was very good like that. He asked whether you slept well, how things went at work and looked at you as a whole being. Since he retired some years ago, I have not been to a GP again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned before when talking of my visits to the GP surgery in October, the only doctor of the three I saw who made me feel like a human being was the elderly Indian doctor who took my hand, turned away from his computer and looked at me and spoke to me in a way of sincerity that made me believe he actually cared about how I felt. Those kind of experiences are a rarity now. I sensed from his age that he would soon be retiring.

      Delete
  4. Ravensburger jigsaws are very good.

    ReplyDelete