Yesterday, Friday, was a cold, dull day with rain and mist. On days like this I like to make sure I go out because being alone in the house all day is very long and feel as if I am just waiting for the day to be over and tea time and evening to come round again. It feels for me like a day of nothing. So I try to go out. On Wednesday I went to the first proper WI meeting when we had a speaker (the other meetings I had been to so far had been special occasions/Christmas and no speaker). The speaker was a criminal lawyer and he talked us through a murder trial he had been involved in. He went on too long and seemed a bit pleased with himself. However, that is by the by. The meeting had an hour of official business too which I found tedious and wanted to leave. I met and talked to some people, the plus side of it. I am glad it is only once a month because of well, what I described.
Back to yesterday, the film, Is This Thing On?, came out yesterday and was showing at a suitable time for me so after checking the trains were running ok I booked my ticket. I had seen the trailer a few times so knew I wanted to see it at some point. The show times next week are all later anyway so yesterday had to be the day.
This is a story inspired by John Bishop's relationship with his wife when the relationship had broken down and they were filing for divorce. John Bishop knows Will Arnett (he will star in the film) and they had talked about the divorce story casually years ago and then it turned into this film.
A little background, John Bishop is a comedian amongst other things. I first and only came across him in a series called John Bishop In Conversation .. where Bishop would interview well known people, celebrities, politicians, often very unexpected people to appear in such a situation. I liked the way Bishop conducted the interviews, slow and personal and yet one never felt he was being intrusive, or at least I didn't. I don't know him as a stand-up comedian. He is Liverpudlian with a strong accent, supports Liverpool F.C. and became a comedian by chance as the film will tell us.
The film is billed by Odeon as a comedy but is actually not a comedy. Nor is it a film about stand-up comedians. It is about relationships and divorce and the effect on all those involved, the couple, the children, if there are any, in-laws and friends. Will Arnett plays Alex Novak, the John Bishop based character, and Laura Dern, his wife. The stand-up comedian bit comes in when Novak ends up doing an open-mic spot in a bar and finds it therapeutic in off-loading in a comedic way what is happening to his marriage. This is what happened to Bishop in real life. One night Novak's wife turns up unexpectedly with a date not knowing Novak was doing open-mic. This also happened to Bishop.
Arnett and Dern worked closely with John Bishop, and they get it right in my opinion, and in Bishop's too as he has been interviewed a lot about it and says so. I enjoyed the film and I recommend it. It will no doubt be streaming soon.
Today the sun is shining and the sky is blue. I have a day to myself and I need to catch up a bit with relaxing and chilling out. Saturdays at home are ok, it goes back to working, weekends are still weekends.
I hope you enjoy reading this rather muddled post.
The film sounds excellent. I wonder if it will turn up here. There is a preponderance of American films. The only English programmes are on tv, usually detective series, now and again a film. I understand British humour and can relate more to English as opposed to American programmes.
ReplyDeleteI presume WI is Women's Institute. You must have talked about it before but don't remember. Maybe next time there will be less official business. The speaker had an interesting subject. Pity he went on too long.
I think you probably need to subscribe to Netflix although you can see the John Bishop interviews on YouTube I think.
DeleteI started going to the WI late last year after a chance conversation with someone who goes. I think the friendship will be the best side of it and some of the speakers look interesting and I will just have to put up with the rest. They seem to have a national agenda to follow as well as the local one. I have spoken about it on the blog and I went to the Christmas lunch in December.
I considered joining the WI many years ago but for some reason didn't think it was really my thing. I have joined various art groups and volunteer groups but never fitted in. There are too many loud voices. I think I am meant to be on my own. The John Bishop film sounds good. I like him and only know him as a comedian. Hope your Saturday is going good Rachel. x
ReplyDeleteI never fit in anywhere either Simone! I like John Bishop, he strikes me as a very warm person. I liked him interviewing people. This Saturday is going ok thank you, the sunshine helps. x
DeleteI have not joined any groups after retiring (semi-retiring?), but there is one that I would like to join, perhaps when I don't do any supply teaching anymore. It is for women and men who have already retired from their careers and offers a variety of activities such as guest speakers, hiking, book clubs, genealogy, etc. I wasn't even sure if there were still WI groups in Ontario, so I just looked it up. Yes, there are many, however the ones that would be closest to where I live have been disbanded. I'm assuming it's to do with not enough members? -Jenn
ReplyDeleteThat group you describe sounds ideal.
DeleteThe WI is strong around here. I have always associated it with rural areas where I grew up . My mother was adamant that she would never join one and she didn't. She would probably be very amused if she knew I had joined.
I have been in a few adult education groups since retiring but have given them up, I feel done with learning at the moment. I may go back to them but not for now.
My mum was in the WI and you are right about the loud voices! I think she was terrified of the leader who insisted every one make the ‘craft project’ each month - a bit like Mrs Bouquet and her neighbour…..
ReplyDeleteI like John Bishop as a comedian and have seen him live when he did an Australian tout - very funny!
My WI group I don't think has a bossy leader as far as I can see. I won't be bossed for sure. John Bishop is a popular guy. The film is kind of funny inspired by him.
DeleteTour I mean..
ReplyDeleteThe brain didn't even notice.
Delete