Friday, 27 February 2026

Thrilling or Thriller

 Yesterday I went to see a Cantonese film, Night King.  It was well over two hours and yet the hours sped by.  Perhaps it was because I was concentrating on the subtitles.  Anyway it was an enjoyable time.  Set in 2012 it  showed the old nightclub industry of Hong Kong where the girls attended the men to please them and we are looking specifically at a failing club  and a dubious takeover by a rival club.  What seems like the good guy is going to lose his club turns itself around.   

The nightlife of Hong Kong has seen its heyday but it is maybe on the turn again now.  I don't know, have never been, but the idea of the girls and the old bankers and lawyers etc. seemed a bit dated to me but perhaps the new night life today is this with a more modern and younger twist.  

Today I am off to see another film which I have been unable to see all week owing to odd show times by Odeon.  Today there is an isolated lunch time showing of The Secret Agent which I have been waiting and hoping for.   All previous showings have been evenings.  A Brazilian drama set in the 1970s.  Looks to be a winner.

Sometimes films are like buses, you wait for ages for one and 4 come at once.   That's the way it goes.  

8 comments:

  1. Thrill, thriller, thrillest...
    None of these sound like my type of film, but than again I am not even sure what exactly I would describe as "my" type of film. What matters is that you enjoyed (or will enjoy) them!
    You are so right about the comparison with buses! And it applies to a lot of things, I find. Like some weeks when I have nothing on at all (outside work, I mean) and then I have a week when four nights out of five I am out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would once have said these were not my kind of films either but changes happen in our lives and we do different things. I went for 30 years without seeing a film at all as my partner did not have the attention span to watch a film. (Now I understand with hindsight that it was all part of his mental health problems). Before I met him I had enjoyed films just like anybody else, the occasional film after work. When I found myself alone I wanted to go back to seeing the occasional film and then it just grew because I also liked the experience of the escape for a few hours when nobody knew where I was. Then it grew more and I bought an annual season ticket to the cinema. My need for escape still exists. Maybe more changes will come in my life, I don't know. It feels like a time of transition for me at the moment but I don't know the outcome.

      Delete
  2. After reading your last three posts I was about to compose a comment along the lines of "Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money because you can spend it any way you like, but you attend a lot of films, far more than the average person. It must cost you a small fortune." Then I read your reply to Librarian above, and it explains everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the annual season ticket offers exceedingly good value for money for a person such as myself who likes to visit the cinema frequently.

      Delete
  3. Both sound unusual but obviously just what you need at the moment.
    It's a good feeling when you find a film which doesn't just fill in an hour or so but takes you into their world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todays Brazilian film was very interesting, set in the time of the 1970s and the Brazilian Military Dictatorship and corruption It was excellent. I like the era of the 1970s even if it was Brazil.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was good until the ending which was disappointing.

      Delete

Monday Position

 A grandmother, with sense, in Braintree gives her granddaughters, 13 and 15, rape alarms to carry with them at all times. The illegal immig...