Monday, 9 February 2026

Winter Olympics

 I enjoyed an afternoon and evening of the Winter Olympics yesterday, Sunday, and what a great selection of winter sports we have to choose from.  I thought back to years ago when the only offering was whatever event BBC were showing at any given time.  Yesterday I jumped around from curling to girls  snowboarding, to skiing to ice skating and Claire Balding in the studio. I also had another set of choices on Discovery+.  But for studio chats I think Claire Balding is the best so for once I mostly stick to the BBC.  

For some change in the early evening whilst having my tea I watched two episodes of another Harlan Corben dark mystery, this one in French language which I admit I switched to an English language.    I don't like choosing this option but I was eating my tea at the same time I didn't want to have to keep my eyes firmly on screen every second to follow the dialogue via subtitles.    It is Gone For Good (Disparu á Jamais).  It is set in Nice and as I have visited Nice for a holiday many years back I am enjoying spotting places I went to.  (For a one week break in good weather it is the perfect place to visit with good transport links along the Riviera and I recommend). 

I did 30 minutes of weeding after lunch as the sun was shining brightly and the soil was well wet to release the roots.  I am gradually getting the brambles out and can see the soil again.  

My brother and his wife who I see on a Sunday have opted not to have visitors for a while and they have closed the door on everyone, not just me.  I would say this is a mid-life crisis but they are well passed mid-life.  Since his illness perhaps too many have been to see them, I don't know but they have now sent out a short message that they wish to see nobody.  I think this is a bit of a dangerous path to go down because  there is a danger it will alienate people and they will not return.  However, not for me to reason why.  They will work through this together.  Who and what will be left at the end of it for them they will have to deal with. 

This morning I am off to the opticians for another eye check.  The sunshine has gone again and we are back to grey skies.  But it is warm enough to not have the heating on which is a bonus because I am nearly out of oil.

  



8 comments:

  1. I've caught bits of the winter Olympics. I much prefer them to the summer ones. Have they done the bobsleigh event yet? I seem to fall asleep in the middle of anything I am watching these days! Sad about your brother and his wife. I think illness can change people and certainly make them think about mortality and how they want to spend their time. We had sun this morning but now it is back to blanket grey. Good luck with the opticians. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bobsleigh races start next week. So far I have watched some of the luge on the ice track, very fast. I am fortunate in that I don't fall asleep when watching tv. The opticians is my six monthly lens check up. I will go out on the train and possibly try again to buy my holiday underwear - perhaps Primark will not be so busy as it was last time I went just before Christmas! xxx

      Delete
  2. My cousin and her family have been living and working in Nice for about 20 years now, and my sister goes to visit her every other year or so. I have only been once but I quite enjoyed Nice. It felt like a good place where people go about their lives, not just another tourist destination on the Côte D'Azure.

    Sorry to hear your brother and his wife have decided they don't want to see anyone. Of course I don't know them, but I share your view that this sounds like a dangerous path, but you are right in respecting their decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice is a very good base from which to explore the area with good public transport links, train and bus. I would happily go there again to see more of the Riviera.

      Delete
  3. I have started clearing the garden too, in between bouts of rain. It is satisfying to see a patch clear and clean even though my first patch has shown up a green and black wall in need of whitewash.
    We have been shown bits and pieces of the opening ceremony of the games but the sports coverage is very limited. I hope we do get more. There are some sports I'd like to see. Anything would be more entertaining than the news.
    I wonder how long it will take for your brother to miss some company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weed clearing is much easier after the rain so I thought I had better take advantage of it. I wonder if my brother will miss me too.

      Delete
  4. Pretty arbitrary to see no one and I hope they work it out soon. I have seen Gone for Good and like you, enjoyed seeing places I was familiar with but thought the plot was very convoluted! Cyclone arrived further north - very oppressive here and hoping for rain later on…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical Harlan Corben but I agree this one is particularly convuluted and a bit disjointed.

      Delete