Thursday, 16 April 2026

Be Prepared

My travel to Azerbaijan is gradually coming closer.  I sorted out the euros this week when I had to go to a post office to post a large letter and I asked the lady whilst I was there if they do euros.  "Of course, how many do you want?" came her friendly reply.  We established that the euros she had were pretty much like new and I did a small transaction with her all paid for without hassle as a cash transaction, no need then for identity.  Although euros are not the currency of Azerbaijan we have been recommended to take some as they like euros especially if they are like new and not used.  I am reminded of the time I took that sports massage in Skopje and was asked if I had euros on me and I paid with a 20 euro note.    You never know what I might get up to in Azerbaijan.  

I then continued on for I was now more in the mood for the holiday.  I bought a  foldup daysack which folds to nothing and can be easily packed in my rucksack  for use when I get there on days out for Fanta bottle and phone or whatever.  There will be no handbags or anything out of the ordinary for me and my daily wear there will be much the same as my daily wear here at home but hopefully no need for a heavy coat.  I will leave coat at home and take a thin jacket or a Levi jacket.  

I bought a new tee shirt and this is about the limit of my purchasing.  The man in the shop thought it was very unusual to travel so light but I just think he hasn't lived and there are many of us who keep packing to the minimum.  I didn't bother to discuss it further with him as it seemed a bit too personal in a strange kind of way, I don't know why but I just didn't take to him to discuss my packing.   He was the second guy in the shop I had spoken to and when I had asked the first guy to view rucksacks that were empty as opposed to rucksacks stuffed with paper for display I got a very strange  reaction that most people want to see them stuffed and how they will look and it gives them some idea of what they will hold.  I went along with it but I also took this quietly as totally ridiculous and got him to fish an empty one down off the high hooks so that I could examine it.  All this was done with reluctance like I was stupid.  I can judge an empty rucksack and whether it will fit my requirements much more easily than examining a stuffed one.  In the end I decided that there was nothing different to the rucksack I already have so didn't purchase.  Every question I asked about them I was given a strange look and then he started talking about shoplifters and he had to be all over the shop.  Perhaps he was just unhappy.  He said that he thought I needed a suitcase. I didn't feel like explaining to him that I don't like suitcases.  I then bought the tee shirt and the daysack.

Folk and life seem to get stranger by the day.  Anyway I went home happy in that I had the euros and I had a tee shirt to wear and I had a tiny foldaway daysack that I wanted.   

I don't take spare shoes or spare anything so don't need much space.

The rucksack I am taking has been standing in the breakfast room for weeks and I do test runs with it around the house for weight on my back and things I might take.  I jog around the house with it to check weight.  No lists, just head telling me that all I really need is the passport and visa in any case.  

My oldest brother came round today and I paid him for the ride-on so we are all square.  He said he could have given me some euros but we decided they would probably be too crumpled up for me.  He didn't ask where I am going so I didn't say.  We are a bit like that in my family.  


14 comments:

  1. When I recently purchased some euros at our local post office I was asked for a lot of personal information... date of birth, home address, photo ID. It felt quite intrusive. Supposedly for money laundering purposes but seemed excessive for just a couple of hundred euros.
    You travel light, as do we. The staff at the hotel we stayed at last week couldn't believe we had no suitcases, just a backpack each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the lady in the post office who suggested I do it as a "cash withdrawal transaction" with my debit card. I was none the wiser because I thought this was the normal way to do it. She then explained that if we did it as a euro purchase she couldn't let me have them without id.
      I am frequently asked where is my luggage to which I reply "this is it".

      Delete
  2. If I were traveling, I would take as little as possible, like you. Minimalism makes life easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel safer travelling light in a funny kind of way. I have been like this since the first time I ever travelled.

      Delete
  3. We usually went out as 'empty' as possible and carried back as full as posible. But we didnt go as tourist and like you, our everyday clothes are fine, in fact most are more than 20 years old and comfortable. I much prefer travelling light and not attract any attention.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as is possible I never want to look like a tourist. My everyday clothes are good enough for home so they are good enough for travelling. I have many travelling experiences I could tell, some not so good. I believe that travelling light has helped me.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you 100% about 'holiday clothes'. Some people think they have to wear brand new, brightly coloured, special, holiday clothes and shoes. They stand out like sore thumbs, and wonder why they are pestered. My advice to travellers has always been to take, 'half the amount of clothes you think you'll need, and twice the amount of money'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine wearing anything other than the clothes I wear everyday with some adjustments for temperature if necessary of course. I have an unspoken understanding with myself that taking something "just in case I need it" is rubbish and never happens. People cart stuff around with them that is never touched.

      Delete
  5. As you know, I don't drive and so I have to be able to carry my own luggage all the time, which mostly involves lifting it in and out of trains, making a quick dash along a crowded platform to catch a connection, and so on. And like you, I don't wear different clothes when I'm away, just my regular stuff. The only exception are my hiking trousers and sturdy hiking boots for mountain hikes; can't do that comfortably in jeans, and not safely in regular trainers. But for those holidays, O.K. and I travel by car, and our hiking boots sit in their own box in the boot of the car.
    Strange that the man at the shop was so reluctant to answer your questions. Sometimes a shop assistant will be only too eager to advise you when all you want is a quiet browse!
    Well done on getting the euros in that straightforward way without having to jump through all the hoops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the well done belongs to the woman in the Post Office for using her knowledge to avoid the id nonsense that JayCee experienced - I was also buying 200 euros. I will be travelling to Heathrow by public transport, including crossing London by underground, so travelling light is important for me, I was surprised at the attitude of the two men in the backpack shop too. Both seemed to lack the ability to "sell" the goods they were selling. It was important to me to feel the fabric of the backpacks as well as see the capacity for myself but neither appeared interested nor could see that the type of fabric was important. Perhaps they just worked there but took no interest in travel or the products.

      Delete
  6. Yes, for travelling light and having it all on your back. It just makes travelling so much easier. You're not lifting or chasing cases and you know it's safe.
    You're very well prepared.
    I'm not surprised about the euros. In travels of old we were advised to carry dollars. Universal currencies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to be self-contained and ready to pick up my stuff and carry it myself in a hurry if I need to. I feel more comfortable with travelling that way.

      Delete
  7. When I used to walk on the Camino de Santiago, it was recommended that we carried no more than 10% of our body weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a very good rule of thumb.

      Delete