Monday, 13 April 2026

Monday

I see that Orban has not held on to Hungary and his old friend Peter Magyar (what a perfect name for a Hungarian) has won with his new party.  Orban has done the right thing and courteously conceded defeat very quickly.  I hope it remains courteous and there are no claims and counterclaims of vote rigging, fixing or interference and no civil unrest to follow as we saw in Ukraine a few years back when the EU side won over the Russian side and Ukraine crept away to no-mans land somewhere in the middle and Nato upset and intimidated  Russia along borders and upset everything and rubble came  and Ukrainians in Britain came to show us how to organise ourselves when hospitality offered.  

I wonder what the new face of Hungary will be and will the people be pleased.  I suspect there will be things that they did not wish for but hopefully they will be outweighed by other things they do wish for.  They will be able to take their share of refugees now and find space within the towns and cities of Hungary for different cultures and foods, different faces in the queues and different people in apartments, homes, streets, hotels, kerb sides, fields, and the fruits of trees will be plucked and the people will be told and believe they are better for it.  The streets will be cleaner and the queues will get shorter and food and money shortages will be subsidised by bigger gifts of gratitude  from the EU. 

Throughout the world the coal-fired power stations warm the people and flood the grid, that includes Germany and Italy, they step in when oil fails.  In the UK we do our best to keep going with Drax and wood pellets from across the oceans.   The wind rages and the turbines keep us going.  Later this year will be a world heatwave and overseas holidaymakers to the US in November or December will head  for bad weather which will follow them to their rooms where they will stay to keep out of the heat.  They will not be cold but they will bake and tell friends "we are in the US and it is such a disappointment because the weather is all over the place and we cannot leave our rooms and all caused by climate change and it is all somebody else's fault in government". 

Meanwhile before that Netanyahu will no longer hold the coalition government in Israel, the Green Party will hold the majority of local councils in Britain and Labour will continue to destroy small and large businesses alike while the welfare booms and the language courses dominate the adult education halls of learning and the translators surge in popularity.   

Shoplifters will be available for you to do your shopping whilst you sit at home streaming and eating pasta and tortillas and enchiladas and scoops of tomato sauce with herbs.  

The world will look at fields of houses and humans and forget what the use of crops ever were or are to human existence.  New agriculture will look to images of horses and oxen and ploughs and will seek wasteland to cultivate and spread with vegan follicles and food supplements of chalk.



8 comments:

  1. One of my two current massage ladies is Hungarian. She and her husband have left Hungary for a reason (I doubt many people leave their home, their family and friends just for "fun".). Next time I see her, I want to hear her opinion about this shift in Hungarian politics.
    I remember when the Ukraine war started, she had some very interesting things to say about that, things I had not heard or read on any official German news channel. It is always important to talk to the people who have been directly affected by what we usually only know about through the news. That is one reason why I value Yael's comments on your blog highly, and I think I should tell her that directly next time I "see" her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Significant changes of government will always please some but not all. It must take something very extraordinary to make your lady and her husband from Hungary leave their country; maybe better jobs they had secured in Germany. Orban was not a killer or leader of a violent regime.

      The Ukraine political history from 2004 to 2014 contains speculation about possible corruption and Russian and US interference which was probably not reported in mainstream news in Germany.

      I value Yael's support and her friendship.

      Delete
  2. That last paragraph was humorous and terrifying at the same time! 'Will seek wasteland to cultivate and spread with vegan follicles and supplements of chalk.' A great line that sums up a lot with little explanation. I love it! Could you put some of the great words in this blog into a poem Rachel? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember reading very recently that it would appear that net zero conference agendas do not contain an item for discussion on the importance of food production and agriculture but plenty on the Paris agreement and emission reduction.

      Your observation of my words that could be used for poetry is very astute. Now that you mention it I will transfer the line to my notebook. Thank you. xx

      Delete
    2. That is great! I love this line too: 'The world will look at fields of houses and humans and forget what the use of crops ever were or are to human existence.' You are a wonderful wordsmith Rachel. x

      Delete
    3. Would that more thought so Simone. Thank you xxx

      Delete
  3. I do like the idea of shoplifters doing my shopping for me; but could they be trusted to deliver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have to barter with them to get it.

      Delete