Tuesday, 26 May 2026

Azerbaijan more for you

This is the border with Iran.  I show it because it is a little bit topical at the moment I suppose.  We went there for a drive one day.  There was nothing happening and one look-out tower which looked like a wooden hut on stilts. 

American tourists were seen in some places in Azerbaijan, I add this because some think that Americans do not go on holiday because  of Iran war and Trump and this is what the mainstream media tell them.   This is not true and we saw American tourists.  

Driving around through the countryside which is how I expected it to look. 

Then some green areas with lush meadows and trees 




 

Most countryside looked like this.


Noah's ark came to rest in Azerbaijan at top of this hill.   I believe this claim is made in several countries.  



Man cleaning at the side of the road.  You would see this all over by all types of roads, men and women sweeping in isolation.  They are paid to do this. 

Lots of Ladas from Soviet times. 
Inside mosque

Inside the mosque lovely coloured glass

Memorial to the dead.  Apartments behind.  All low level apartment blocks are Soviet builds. 


The Imam was pleased to show me his mosque and pose for photo.  Soviets pulled down mosques so the mosques are new-builds.  I was told that old people pray at home because they got into the habit of hiding at home to pray.  Only young people use the mosques today. 




Tomorrow I will show you some more.


12 comments:

  1. It looks much more green than I would have expected. Interesting that the Imam is wearing western clothes. In the UK they all seem to wear long white 'dresses' - I don't know the correct name for the attire. I like the story of where the Noah's Ark came to rest. I hope you are feeling better Rachel. Remember to up your fluids in this hot weather. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green areas with wheat and fruit were in the north of the region. I was surprised at just how lush it was. I remember photographing an Imam in Albania and he was dressed in ordinary clothes. Maybe in the UK they like to make a point, which is unnecessary. I am not aware of the heat outside because I am indoors all the time and the house is cool. Thanks Simone. x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this interesting and fascinating glimpse of the country, Rachel. I hope you posting means you are feeling a little bit better today.
    The mountain certainly looks like a sacred place for more than one religion or ancient cult. Until now I only knew of Mount Ararat being claimed as the spot where Noah's ark came to rest, and that's in easternmost Turkey according to Wikipedia.
    The Imam showing you the mosque sounds like a special privilage; many years ago my then husband and I went to Tunisia where I as a woman (and very obviously not a Muslima) was not allowed in the mosque in Sousse, whereas my husband was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are many places in which claim is made that Noah's Ark came to rest. There are many animal scupltures in memorial parks here too which I believe relate back to Noah's Ark. I was made welcome in the mosque, the only requirement was to take off my shoes. I took the photos in the women's part although I was told I could photograph anywhere. The imam helped me with my shoes by handing me a shoe horn and was very happy to have a visitor. I remember in Morocco not being allowed in mosques as a woman. Azerbaijan is a secular country and there are few if any signs of women in Muslim garments.
      I am not much better yet but at least I am not getting worse. Thank you. Rachel x

      Delete
  3. Today I met an Armenian Greek and thanks to your map I knew exactly the location of the country and could talk about the area. Lots of conflict there, not just Iran.
    And thank you for showing us more of Azerbaijan. There is so much of interest, so much to learn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Armenia and Azerbaijan in dispute over access across Armenia to Naghchivan which is why we had to fly over. Then Russia and Iran involved with it too. We were told to go nowhere near the Armenian border as it was not safe.
      I will publish the map again tomorrow. It was referred to several times. Thanks Linda. X

      Delete
  4. Interesting photos and also interesting to hear about the mosques and the elderly still praying at home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guide explained that his grandmother, under Soviet rule, had prayed in secret and as a small boy he didn't understand, Apparently the habit of praying in secret at home has continued with the elderly, although they can now pray openly.

      Delete
  5. Amazing photos, thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting the blog Joy. It is rare to see a comment from you. I think we both enjoy our travels don't we! Xxx

      Delete