Whilst looking for something to watch on Prime the other night I came across a couple of documentaries on M. R. James and they were brilliant and I highly recommend them.
The first documentary was called The Haunting of M.R James.
M.R. James was born in 1862 in Kent. His father was a clergyman who moved to Suffolk, Great Livermere Church in fact, when James was 3 years old.
Great Livermere Church is a wonderful old medieval church standing in a gently undulating part of Suffolk and I remember the area for two reasons, firstly travelling through there on a regular basis to visit my aunt in Bury and secondly for the sheep sales held out in the open on the Livermere fields. There I would go as a young child with my brother, he driving the livestock float delivering sheep to the sale, me riding as sidekick. I would stand on the windswept fields in awe of the sheep pens and farmers gathered and to me as a young child it would look like a million sheep and hundreds of men. In reality I would guess it would be a thousand sheep and probably 50 men and boys. There would also be lorries and cars parked upon the fields of course. We would make our delivery and stay for the sale and wait to see if we could get any business for deliveries of sheep onwards from the sale.
M.R. James is well known as a writer of ghost stories although his main occupation was that of a scholar of medieval literature, a medievalist and translator of ancient medieval texts. He was provost at Cambridge University and also at Eton College. His father had wanted him to go into the church but young James had other ideas and was said to have been translating ancient texts when he was a very young boy of under 10. His father was thought to also be a clever man with languages and no doubt taught his son.
The ghost stories were written as entertainment for his student friends at Cambridge where evenings before television would be spent storytelling over a drink or two.
The ghost stories that M.R. James is most well known for today were definitely not very important to him in his working lifetime, they were entertainment. Of course he had a great interest in ghostly things and dreams but it is not known from where the stories really came: were they entirely imagination or some ghostly experiences he had in the rooms of Great Livermere Rectory and in the lonely fields and lanes around where he lived?
The Second Documentary
One of the best known stoies is Whistle and I'll Come to You My Lad and the second documentary I watched on the same evening was Wits in Felixstowe which was the setting for that particular story and is filmed entirely on location in the Felixstowe area with snippets of Ipswich and the Cobbold family, with whom he was friends, and some very interesting background to M.R. James. As a child my father would take us to Felixstowe so I enjoyed the filming and recognised some of the spots we would go to. The documentary had the folk song of Whistle and I'll Come to You My Lad sung by soprano Patricia Hammond hauntingly in the background. For this alone it is worth watching, she has such a beautiful voice. The BBC has made two adaptations of the ghost story.
Both documentaries are free on Amazon Prime and the ghost story Whistle and I'll Come to You is available at £1.98.
I don't watch or read ghost stories but I did find the two documentaries about M.R. James fascinating.
I shall look for these programmes as they sound worth watching. I may just let present experiences become a little blunter in the memory first though!!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean! Living alone I never watch ghost stories or horror movies. There was a little bit of spooky extracts in the two documentaries which I kind of looked at through my hands!
DeleteThey sound interesting Rachel and more so that you recognised certain places. I recommend the 3 part series China with Ben Fogle on channel 5. It was fascinating and I know you like Ben Fogle. Hope you have a bit more energy today. x
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed seeing Great Livermere again and it did bring back memories and then Felixstowe unexpectedly came on immediately after - Prime sometimes make choices for you! I have never got around to watching Ben Fogle in China. One day I will. x
DeleteI've never come across this author, but a good documentary is always worth watching. Since I don't have Amazon Prime I may have to look elsewhere.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the recommendation!
It was nice to read some of your childhood memories in connection with the documentaries. I can just imagine how big and great it all appeared to a little girl. And even "just" 1,000 sheep are impressive to look at!
M R James is well known in Britain for the ghost stories that he wrote but it was fascinating to hear about his "other" life as a medieval scholar at Cambridge University.
DeleteI was familiar with livestock sales at the time but this one was unique in that it was set up outside in the open fields. It was a big sheep mart in that area at the time. We were livestock hauliers so I often rode with my brother.
Are you feeling better
ReplyDeleteNo. It is one step forward two steps back unfortunately. I had quite a bad day on Sunday.
DeleteI’m not good either
DeleteIt is not nice is it.
DeleteI was surprised when you mentioned that he'd written 'Whistle'. I'd always imagined it was an E A Poe story. I've probably lived with many similar false notions all my life. Now I know!
ReplyDeleteYou learn something new everyday.
Delete