Saturday, 13 June 2026

Neighbours to the rescue

 As I am suffering from the post viral fatigue - I hesitate now to say long covid having been put in my place by the troll the other day that I don't have long covid, how he would know this I have no idea,  so I am therefore adopting the description of "post viral fatigue" - I have been unable to look after myself or the garden as I should. 

Over the last few days the neighbours have taken over the care of the rough grass and hedge.  John came round yesterday to say he would strim for me - strimming I have not been able to do because I am too weak to lift and control the strimmer.  He said he had noticed the rougher grass getting out of control when he drove past.  I thanked him profusely and accepted his offer of help.  

Sue on the other side has taken care of the hedges by sending her gardener round.  I can manage the ride-on I think and will do that if possible next week to keep the main grass down from being another crop of hay.

Foil wrapped food has also been appearing in the form of cakes and sausage rolls. 

David, my neighbour who fed the cats while I was away, has been taking care of the bins for me. 

I hope I can get out and about again soon but as I said before, it is just a matter of taking it slowly and pacing myself.  I made a trip to the supermarket one day but had to come straight home again as I arrived at the supermarket door and lost all energy and couldn't go in so turned back rather than collapse and being whisked off in an ambulance.  I have subsequently been again and did a small shop of milk and essentials.  Big time spent going round a supermarket is still a no no. 

The sweats appear to have gone and the fatigue and breathlessness are the main problems I am left with.   I am sleeping ok which is a blessing. 

I missed the Creative East singing and dancing session on Thursday, out of the question to join it.  Next week there is a W.I. cookery demonstration where all I have to do is sit and watch.  It is the cookery sub-group and usually only lasts an hour.  That may be my first outing.  We shall see. 

It would help if the weather improved I think.  I have had to have some heating on in the evenings for a couple of hours and the electric blanket to warm the bed too.  Oh for some June weather. 


16 comments:

  1. I'm glad your neighbours are looking out for you Rachel. I had to wear extra layers in bed this week as I was so cold. Today is meant to be better. It would be good if you feel well enough to go to the cookery demonstration. I always feel better to get back to normality after being unwell and staying inside for a long time. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today started off quite well but now it is cloudy, rain threatens, and it is windy. I am feeling ok but as soon as I want to do anything I lack energy to do it. It is this lack of energy that is so annoying. I have lovely neighbours. Small communities within small villages, or communities within large communities are a godsend when it comes to neighbourliness and help.

      Delete
  2. Your fatigue is preventing you from doing so many things which I hadn't even considered. Thankfully you have neighbours who see what's happening and are helping. I hope slowly you can get out again without exhausting yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is the main window to the fact that I am not my usual self as it has got very overgrown! I managed to mow it once when I got back from holiday but it has gone a bit wild ever since. The neighbours started to realise that I really was not being seen outdoors although the bad weather hasn't helped of coursee. I am getting a bit better each day. I think we'll know when I am feeling better when I manage to get myself to the cinema!

      Delete
  3. You are fortunate to have good and observant neighbours. but I hope you improve soon. It's no fun feeling weak and helpless, particularly when you live alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all friends but we do not live in each others pockets but we do keep an eye out for one another. It was a surprise when I got the offers of help with the garden though. I am improving and feel like I will be back to normal and am not frightened as I was at first. My brother rang me this morning and said he had forgotten I said I had Covid! However, I do know he cares really!

      Delete
  4. Your neighbours are worth their weight in gold! As you say, you don't live in each other's pockets but still look out for each other. That's how I like it, too. The family whose cat and rabbits I have been taking care of for two weeks are an example of that; I have done this for them (and their pets) and they will return the favour when I'll be on holiday, but although there has been the occasional coffee together, we're not constantly at each other's houses, and our circles of friends don't really overlap - we're neighbours, and that's good.

    You mentioned the cinema - the day you feel well enough to go back there it'll be like a little celebration, I imagine!
    Nice to know your brother cares, too.
    I am sure you'll keep improving, and as far as I know, the weather is supposed to be more June-like over the course of the next week, which will help as well.
    It's been so cold here some days that I had the heating on in the bathroom for a little bit before I went in. I hate a cold bathroom in the morning when I want to shower and dress for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to be in a friendly living situation and know that there is someone to reach out to if necessary. Like you say, not constantly at other's houses, but still friends enough.

      I think if I can get out to the cinema I will feel it is a positive step forward although there is nothing pushing me because there is nothing I really want to see.

      It has been a bit warmer today and I don't need the heating on tonight.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry its lingering on, Rachel.I do hope your prigress pics up and you can to normal. I have lived here 28 years and know no one. So I am pleased that you have such a good community. If the weather improves I am sure that will help.
    Drizzle is forecaat for most days here ,for the rest of June, not exactly Wimbledon weather. I am hoping it will be better than they say.
    I duobt you have been doing your exercises and will need to be gentle with yourself.
    Take care,Rachel
    Kathy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think age comes into it - recovery is not so quick for me now. I feel a little better each day although there have been a few false dawns. I hope for better weather and not so much rain and cold.
      I haven't been doing the exercises but they are not totally forgotten and I have been doing calf raises and a few chair exercises in the kitchen. As I was doing the exercises in preparation for my holiday I mustn't now get complacent and stop doing them! Thanks Kathy x

      Delete
    2. There is one exercisethat I always do. standing on my toes and reaching up. !! Since I am only 4' 11" many things are out of reach. Maybe that is why I have strong legs. I had not thought of it as an advantage till now .Kathy x

      Delete
    3. Calf stretches are very beneficial. Calves are also known as the second heart.

      Delete
  6. GLad you have good neighbours. Perhaps a couple of supermarket home deliveries may be a wise move until you have built your strength up again. It's surprising how many steps you can clock up walking round a big supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should try again. When I was first ill a couple of weeks ago I prepared an on-line order and then my payment was rejected so I gave up and started on the emergency cat food (for the cats) that I have in case I am snowed in in winter. I have been making short bursts to the supermarket for essentials. Yesterday I managed a bit more but today I am back to square one and have no energy.

      Delete
  7. Occasionally I have bouts of EXTREME tiredness, where I can hardly be bothered to walk even a few feet. You now have me wondering if it could also be some post viral affliction. There seems no logical reason otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These wretched viruses can leave one still struggling months later. This has happened to me before. No point in going to the doctor, they don't seem to be able to do anything.

      Delete

Stitch Up

It is clear to me that Burnham cares more about illegal immigrants than he does about anyone else.  Labour is out to turn this into a Muslim...