I don't know what to blog about this morning although I have one thing I would like to blog about and that is the quiet life of blogs and why I do it. But that is a difficult topic to put into words that won't be twisted. I like a quiet life and to have followers who have a conversation with me like I would if I was out in a social situation. It is a conversation to be had here with people who read and may be interested, not a conversation of bitterness and hate. It does not always come across as happiness but I am a happy person in reality and when I meet my friends of which they are quite a few it is a time of fun, not corrections and bitterness and someone waiting at the door to correct the church cleaning or the church dusting or the church administration to correct the duster and give the reprimand. It is a time of friendship.
It is a time to celebrate the shared love of Britain as it was with shepherds pie, runner beans and gravy. It is the shared realisation that if we do not stand up to attacks carried out on innocent people then queers will be thrown from buildings next and women will be put in the kitchen while the men eat. It is a shared place for the love of Britain and its culture and the cabbage and peas and roses and perms and slow buses and a scrunched gear change and a summer's day with a sun hat and a cucumber sandwich and a 99. It is the shared venue for the summer dress and the white socks and a bicycle and sandals put into the body of the elderly sipping water from the fridge door and watching Netflix instead of the BBC.
The culture of Britain with a tin of sardines and tea together and Blue Peter and the News and an earthquake in Skopje and knitting squares and an atlas to see where it is and Top of the Form and school next day. It was Aberfan and prayers.
Now it is a quietness before bed and prayers to the penance of the day's bad thoughts and repentence for the bad word that was uttered in disgust at Louise Haigh and Angela Rayner and extra prayers said that it will all go away and will help with sleep and calm before the next day and it starts all over again. It is personal life in the head that can make or break the night.
The blog is for me to talk and find the rights and wrongs of me without the telling or the jerking or the ticking off, mum and dad did enough of that, they fuck you up your mum and dad, they may not mean to but they do, in the words of Philip Larkin, so leave it at that because all that has been done and I don't want any more of that now. It is over, those days are gone.
Today is my day to do as I wish in the heat of the day. Within the love of Britain that has the creation of the economy and pleasure and satisfaction of work, a Mars bar between six, skinny children who weren't starving and a tennis racket and ball in the park.
Kevin Keegan's death brought back many memories for me of the 1977 Liverpool team of Ray Clemence, Phil Neal, Joey Jones, Tommy Smith, Ray Kennedy, Emlyn Hughes, Kevin Keegan, Jimmy Case, Steve Heighway, Ian Callaghan, Terry McDermott. I felt very nostalgic when I read those names. I could tell you what I was doing at any moment in time in that year, where I stood, what the kitchen was like, what the bathroom was like, where I was, where I worked, who I was with, what we did, what we said. Kevin Keegan in 1996 I could also tell you about that night as well when Alex Ferguson got the better of him and Kevin went mad. He was a man who wore his heart on his sleeve, awarded the Ballon'd'Or twice, and had a fight with Billy Bremner at Wembley. RIP Kevin.
As you say, Rachel, a post to ponder upon.
ReplyDeleteBlogging is like conversations with friends for me, too, which is why I don‘t understand why some bloggers allow comments but hardly ever reply to them - what‘s the point then? (I know we have talked about this before.)
What we blog about is entirely up to us, same as commenting or not is entirely up to the reader. Freedom on a small but nonethess important scale.
Yes, it is freedom and respect for the blogger and understanding of the culture of the blog and blogger that needs to be in the heart of the reader. For those without blogs it is a harder concept for them to grasp but every blogger has a heart, feelings, and an open window to their life but it is not a window to be abused, nor is the open window there to allow abuse to other commenters, nor a personal platform or soapbox.
DeleteI don't talk to many people outside blogs and YouTube. When I did it would be normal conversation whereas today I would have keep my thoughts to myself for fear of being branded a terf (whatever that means) cis, right wing fascist etc. I don't remember labelling people years ago. We just got along with each other without putting others down to point score. The problem today is I see so many 'wrong' things that are branded as normal such as the 'queermilk' charity that gets public money to promote chest feeding. It isn't milk. It is a chemical concoction of drugs fed to babies to satisfy a sick persons fetish. I can't understand why there isn't more uproar. To save myself from going mad I look back at pleasant memories: Terry Jacks and 'Seasons in the Sun', taking my dolls pram out with mum, dad and sister to the park on a Sunday, roast dinners, funfairs and winning goldfish, Epsom derby and meeting nan and grandad halfway to the countryside where we would play 'Queenie, Queenie who's got the ball' and pick blackberries and go to the pub for crisps and drinks. Nostalgia is where I am right now but hope to live see a future world of good people who wish no harm to others. Hope your day is good Rachel. x
ReplyDeleteAs I was just saying to Jabblog, I didn't know how this post would come out, until I had finished. My friend C on a Saturday is like what you say in your second sentence. I don't comment much on blogs anymore, it's not worth it. It used to be one to one connections, it cannot be relied on to be that anymore. Just me here connecting with each comment as an individual and My World, the name I gave this blog, is a good name for it. xx
DeleteA thoughtful and thought-provoking post today, Rachel. For me, blogging is a place to explore and learn, to laugh and commiserate, to exchange views, to express dismay or horror or joy, to catch a glimpse of another person's life, which may be mundane to them but is fascinating to an outsider. It is a place of connections.
ReplyDeleteI don't really know why I wrote it rather than just keep it in my head. I was troubled as I often am by blogging and I wanted to offload it but I didn't know how it would come out. As it is, it came out in a totally different way to my original thoughts. Probably the best way in the end.
DeleteI too love that Britain, and I really hate to see its purposeful decline. It is also very worrying to see actual 'British' people urging its decline. Personally I think the game is lost, we will never get back that Britain we loved; it is gone for ever. I find that sad.
ReplyDeleteIf Islamic extremism cannot be recognised and talked about without being accused of racism then everything is lost. The boats are coming in now, bigger than ever, with 900 illegal migrants landing in the past six days. Good weather and air stream helps. The organisers remain on shore in France and bid the boat a push and away. Welfare is still a number one attraction with the illusion of homes thrown in advised to the migrants by false stories of economic glory days ahead. The people of Britain are as deluded as the migrants if they believe it is going to stop.
DeleteI've just written about it again this morning.
DeleteNo doubt it will be taken over by your usual crowd.
Delete