Thursday, 30 July 2026

Heat, Yam and Bras and Trousers

 Why would anybody want to read my blog I ask myself.  Today especially when all I have to relate is that I went for a Thai massage yesterday.  On the hottest day of the week, and the hottest day since I went last time when again it was the hottest day.  It was 34C.  

Last time during the journey there I was dripping with sweat, I had the hot coffee and was mopping my brow for an hour before I went to the massage lady's house. You may remember all this. 

This time I put the yam cream to the test and yammed up my wrist and lower arm before leaving the house.  You could say clutching at straws.  I attired myself in the very thin flimsy cotton trousers, that I purchased from Gundrun Sjoden three years ago;  Weaver's recommendation at the time because she had heard of the clothing company through one of her carers.  The trousers were thin and although I bought a pair, two actually, that were ample in size and not stretched to the limit over my expanded body, the seams all had to be re-machined by me because they split with gay abandon at every available point of joins and the material stretched away and tried to escape even from my machined repairs.  

I eventually stopped wearing them for the seam problems although I had put them away clean and repaired.  So yesterday out came a very thin pair  of lime green baggy trousers and, indeed,  they were better than the heavy linen Sahara ones I wore last time.  I concluded I should have taken these to Azerbaijan as they are much cooler than heavy linen that I did take.  However, I would always have been worried about the seams.   I was  over hot in Azerbaijan and eventually gave up bra wearing because the bra made me feel even hotter.   I only had a sports bra with me which was almost 100% elasticated and wearing it was like being encased in rubber.  It was not a good choice of bra for the holiday although I was not expecting the weather to be so hot in Azerbaijan. 

Although I wear shorts for all local sojourns into South Norfolk if I go to the big city, in the true teaching of my mother 60 years ago, I do not wear shorts.  If I was going straight from the train to the massage lady I might have considered shorts but as I was to spend an hour at least in the Odeon café writing, it turned into almost 2 hours because the massage lady texted to say she was delayed,  shorts were not the order of the day.  Anything may go for many cinema goers but for me I always feel some decorum is in order in a public place that is not a supermarket. Even a supermarket demands some but not quite so much. 

The Thai massage was tough and I endured it all without screaming out, she says the men are the worst for asking her to stop and their pain thresholds are low.  I have not had my original masseuse for some time as she has been working in London to earn money to pay  her tax bill as London pay rates for good Thai masseuses are very good and they are in much demand.  Her work in London seems to have made her even stronger in hands than before.  

Last night I was very tired and went to bed early and slept for 8 hours.  

Oh, and by the way, the yam cream worked and I was not dripping with sweat yesterday.  I also did not have a hot coffee.  I had an iced Frappé coffee as recommended by the barista and it was delicious. 




10 comments:

  1. The heat was unbearable yesterday. I had to sleep downstairs in the living room as the bedroom with the fan on and open windows was still too hot. I wish I could wear shorts but I am too self conscious about my legs. I like loose cotton fabric. It was good that you could wear the lighter trousers to your massage. I like clothes by Gundrun Sjoden but they are expensive. Is the yam cream to prevent sweating? If so, maybe I should buy some. An iced coffee sounds wonderful right now as I am sipping a hot black coffee. Hope you have a good day Rachel. Today is supposed to be much cooler for which I am most grateful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never bought anything else off Gudrun after finding the garments fell apart at the seams and I had to re-machine them.. They were mid expensive but not so expensive as the Sahara brand of linen ones but they are of very good quality. The yam cream has no scientific backing but I find it works for me. I have long had what I consider to be hormone problems which the doctors refuse to test so I went back to Yam cream that I had used in my menopausal days. I am fortunate in that hot weather does not stop me sleeping. Thanks Simone, I hope you have a good day too. xx

      Delete
  2. Your Thai massages are an endurance test. Worth the pain obviously. How are you today?
    Different clothes for different places. I'll wear house clothes, usually short leggings and a clean tshirt to go down to the nearest grocery school or walk around the neighborhood. Down-town clothes mean changing into a more stylish top and not wearing my old stained sandals.
    I was thinking about dress decorum this morning when a couple of tourists wandered past wearing thongs with butt cheeks hanging out. OK, you're on holiday, no one knows you, but would you walk down your high street like that. Or the 2 Greek women at the ATM, 50s, wearing bikinis with a see through wrap. They weren't svelte. They obviously thought they were fine, so why should I even mention it. On the beach I see a lot worse and don't give anyone a 2nd glance. But you become a sight for titters and smutty remarks, which I heard. A little decorum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to your first question. To clothes, I admit to being in the category of "nobody knows me" when I am on holiday but I do try to look decent and blend in. With the no-bra decision I told nobody, I didn't suddenly want all eyes on my boobs from the group so I just carried on as normal. I felt much better and less hot. I doubt anybody noticed. Around here at local shops I wear shorts, because it is so hot and I think that excuses it and it seems to be acceptable now regardless of age for men and women. I am glad that it is more relaxed than during mother's time. But in the city and on the train I prefer to be a little bit better presented and covered up.

      Delete
  3. H, i Rachel
    Yes many people find that Yam ,in varius forms can help with hormonal changes.
    I have the oposite problem, I very seldom sweat even a little, and then it is so unusual it cayses comment, My skin goes very cool instead.
    Strangely, if I handle potatoes, especially new ones, my hand develope a rash, like very tiny blisters, apparently caused my sweat glands not working.
    I wear shorts most of the time in summer, but like you, I feel it necessary to 'be respectably dressed' if I leave the house.
    The weather is being kinder to us here, its varying between 19 and 22.
    I preffer a gentler form of massage, especially as I bruise so easily.
    We are all different and unique,
    Kathy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to sweat a lot now I am older and then I got to the point where I concluded it is hormonal but doctors refuse to test for hormonal changes for the over 70s. Dr Louise Newson's book on the power of hormones which I mentioned recently seems to confirm the hormone problem which is so neglected by GPs.

      It is still hot here today and I have been in the house most of the time except when I went out for a paper.

      I don't bruise under the massage, I think she knows just how to get the pressure right, but I do bruise quite easily normally.. But we are all different and unique that is for sure. Rachel xx

      Delete
  4. For a few weeks I've been in my 'Summer' PJs that are shorts and loose fitting as soon as I am in for the day. Keeping cool on the NW of the UK has not been too difficult and I've not had to use the fans stationed in my house. Otherwise outdoors it's jeans and shirt as usual. We even had some rain this morning! BTW I had iced coffee in York yesterday - it was rather refreshing. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not difficult for me to stay cool indoors and if I have to go out then hopefully I can do so early in the day. So you have been in York. A day out across the border.

      Delete
    2. Without paperwork and passport but using Snr Railcard and phone for the 2 1/2 hr journey. A great awayday and met a friend (coming from the other direction) on Lendal Bridge.. I may well use the train from Wymondham this Oct/Nov. Lesley

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, what fun. EMR (East Midlands) all the way.

      Delete