I went to see the 2026 movie Pressure today. This is a WW2 film from the perspective of the D-Day landings weather build up on the Normandy coast. It is a true story.
It is very dramatic and I believe Andrew Scott will be nominated for an Oscar for his performance. He was brilliant. Scott played the British meteorologist James Stagg who was appointed to ascertain what the D-Day weather was going to be which was crucial to the landings timetable.
He was appointed by Churchill ahead of the US meteorologist Krick who was also present during the 72 hours of the weather study and was not a happy bunny to play second fiddle to Stagg. Eisenhower was the US Commander in Chief and played by Brendan Fraser.
Prior to seeing this movie I did not have the knowledge that the weather played such an important part in the decision making of that day. I do now. Krick being an American was not familiar with Atlantic storms that build up over Europe very quickly. There was a big clash between Krick and Stagg.
Andrew Scott was superb as was Brendan Fraser and the guy who played Krick, Chris Messina. All in all one of the best films I have seen this year and good to be back to real drama as opposed to fantasy and scifi etc. of which there has been rather a lot this year.
Hi Rachel.
ReplyDeleteI can remember hearing the 'grown ups' talking about the concrete bottom boats being built in the marshes, presumably at Woolwhich also remember my mother hushing them saying 'careless talk costs lives' (looking pointedly at us kids)
Being in the 'bomb run' to London and so close to the Arsenal , most of my family were involved in one way or another.
Some where we have old films of the war.
Kathy
It is interesting how familiar wartime stories are to those living who lived then. It is these stories that should be passed on. Whilst watching the film I wondered about those who take a great interest in WW2 books and what they will think of the film; it is such an unusual perspective to view it from - the nitty gritty of the planning right down to the weather. Thanks Kathy. xx
DeleteLike you, I never thought much about the weather playing such an important role for D-Day, while of course I was always aware that the tides would have been very important for the timing of the landings.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a very good film with great actors.
As I have just said to Linda, well acted, tense moments felt by all watching it. Both lead roles well played.
DeleteI had read about how important the weather was. I'd love to see the film, see it all unfold, especially with great actors.
ReplyDeleteOf course as soon as I thought abuot it I realised that the weather was very important to the landings but I had never thought abuot it before! Great film with lots of tense moments, well acted.
Delete