Monday, 6 April 2026

Hedging

I've got a small length of privet hedge here and ever since my brother stopped hedge cutting a few years ago it has been a pain to get it cut. It grows fast and needs several trims per summer.   There is a professional tree surgeon who lives in my road, a friendly chap, but busy with big jobs although he advertises that he will do small hedges and gardens.  I have engaged him to do it in previous years, paid the going rate, and been happy with that.  However, he never shows up unless I keep ringing him and leaving him messages to pester him to come.  It gets tiresome.  I spoke to his wife one day and explained I was giving another "gentle reminder" that my hedge needed trimming.  She said she quite understood and would tell him, adding that he never writes things down and is very forgetful.  Now that came as a shock because, having been involved in business all my life, how can you run a business if you never write things down?  My neighbour John came over this week and said he had ordered firewood but the delivery had not arrived. Funny that, John.   I had seen John walking up and down the road several times and it turned out he  was looking for the same man to "remind him" about his firewood.  John stays in when the  wood is to be delivered in order to assist with stacking it.  So I said to John I have given up with this man and knowing that he is unreliable I order my wood from a merchant up the road who delivers on the day he says, at the time he says, and puts it in my shed for me, for which I generously tip.   I rely on my woodburner for heat and I cannot be worrying about a wood delivery in winter.  John tells me he is now 90 and in fact offered to cut my grass for me when he found my brother had given up.  Now how's that for neighbourlyness!  At the time, a few weeks ago, I actually thought John was 86, as if that makes much difference but I thought I cannot have an 86 year old doing my grass for me, I would be ashamed to be  sitting indoors while he did the work.   Now I find he is in fact 90.   He told me that when his daughter reached 60 a few weeks ago he felt he must be getting old.  

So yesterday I decided that another step onward with me looking after my own back yard - garden - from now on, I ordered a hedge trimmer.  Like the lawn trimmer - strimmer - it is battery powered.  It is not a Karcher this time but a Flymo.  It had good reviews, is quite light, and will do an hours hedging on one battery charge.  That will be more than enough.  It should arrive tomorrow.   I am sorry that I am not buying these things from local suppliers but ordering through Amazon but I regret to say that these local people are not helpful enough in sales to get my custom.  It is a sad state of affairs but the staff just are not there to be  seen and the gardening equipment is just left to sell itself I suppose.  You can look around for someone to reach something off a shelf, make a recommendation, ask if you need assistance, and they just are not there.  So a quick browse on the internet and then on to Amazon and it is all done.  Videos, reviews and good offers and delivered to my door. 

I went outside yesterday in the cold, we had hail showers through the day, and did a bit of hedge trimming with some loppers to get the higher bits and will do a bit more today.  I will just have to see how I get on with it all when the new hedge trimmer arrives but I think I may still be lopping a few high bits with the loppers. 

Of course I still have the front beech hedge which I will need help with but that only requires one cut per year in August.  I will have to cross that bridge when it comes. 


6 comments:

  1. He is 90 and still doing yard work? I admire that so much. It’s kind of a chicken and egg situation ( what came first…). Are those kind of individuals still active because they are just naturally able to do it, or are they able to do it because they just stayed active?
    Enjoy your new hedge trimmer. When husband is about to make a new purchase he often watches a variety of YouTube videos that rank different manufacturers according to various attributes and abilities.
    We are approaching the time when I’ll be out in the gardens, cleaning up and trimming. - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In answer to your chicken and egg question, I think it is a combination of both, keeping active and being able to do it. He is also at 90 as mentally sharp as he has always been, that must help. Rachel

      Delete
  2. My gardener in France is very good. He simply goes when he thinks that it needs attention, and does all the mowing, strimming, and tidying. I have a ride-on mower there, so I think he enjoys using it. My surveillance camera shows that the Wisteria is in FULL BLOOM. Fantastic this year, and I only get to see it on camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother used to be my gardener and did for me as you describe your gardener does for you. He has given up for health reasons. I have had to take it all over myself and now have a ride-on mower plus the other gadgets described. Your wisteria in France is much earlier than here.

      By the way, the Take Back Power people you wrote about recently are the new Just Stop Oil people; they have given up on oil. Rachel

      Delete
  3. Hi Rachel
    Could you tell me , which model Karcher you have. U thunk I need to get another strimmer. The jedges here are sadly neglected, they are lines of trees. They were like that when we moved here. We have tried laying them again, but it is a skilled job amd we are skilled lapidaries, not hedge layers. We have managed to improve some. Fro ezperience here, none of rhe owners admit that hedges are on there land !!! They are a sort of no mans land between fields
    Suposed to be 20c today .
    That would be nice.
    Dont know if I have the right day, but happy birthday
    Walk in beauty
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an LTR 18-30. In Norfolk if the ditch is on your side then the hedge is the neighbours. Of course we have ditches here on the farms so the hedge ownership problem is not a problem. In gardens we just keep our sides and tops of the hedges neat. I am envious of your temperatures. It is this North Sea east coast that we get this prolonged cold easterly air. It catches visitors out because the blue sky and sun looks lovely. Birthday is not today but a few more days to go but thanks anyway. Rachel xxx

      Delete

Holiday 2027 Fixed

On Monday I was feeling the best I have felt for some time.  I had nothing planned for the day and considered the cinema but decided against...