Thursday, 23 April 2026

Socials and films etc.

 Yesterday I was going to see Michael, the Jackson film just out, but because it had a start time of 11.30 am I decided against it and will choose a later time next week.  So I went back to the drawing board and found a film starting at 2.15 pm, much better, called The Wizard of the Kremlin.  I had never heard of it and the Odeon were giving it only two showings and with Kremlin in the title it was a must for me.  I mean, me, lover of all things Russian.   It was advertised as a thriller/drama and satire.  Even better.  And nominated for the Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival.    Well the long and the short of it is that I loved it.  It is a satire indeed, but not much of a thriller at all, but a good bit of dark humour.    And it fitted very nicely into my way of thinking as expressed in my Sunday post this week and the comments that followed.  Very coincidental.   So perfect I am seeing it again today as the only other screening is the one at 2.15 today.  Jude Law plays Putin, and Paul Dano a fictional political adviser to Putin, Baranor.  It is set in the final years of the Soviet Union and brings in nicely my point about US interference in Ukraine in 2004/2014 as discussed in my comments on Sunday.   The film must be of limited interest I would think and it certainly helps to have some knowledge of Russia besides just "I hate Putin" type of facts, in order to recognise the satire and comedic slant of the film and understand it.   

Today, before seeing the film for the second time, I am going for lunch with my friends who I meet every four to six weeks. This is my birthday lunch a bit late.  We waited so as to avoid the school holidays.  Fortunately the restaurant we ae going to is two minutes walk from the cinema and we are meeting for an early lunch.    

I rang the travel company yesterday just to touch base with them really.  I also rang the insurance company to check that they consider Azerbaijan in Europe because my annual policy is a Europe policy.  They confirmed that it does.   

All is well and it is a nice, small group of 6.  That means that there must be at least one other person travelling alone for there to be a neat even number of 6.  Couples are ok but they can get a bit clingy to each other to the exclusion of singletons although this is by far not always the case.  6 is a very small group although I think Moldova was only 7 and great fun .   Group tours can be of all shapes and sizes.  Readers of Joy, Diary of a Retired Teacher will see that she is currently in a group of 40 visiting Crete, and it sounds like a treat.  So Addy, if you are reading this and still wondering about going on holiday alone, take it on board that group tours are great for those travelling without a partner and you can always choose to spend time alone even when in a group including being as unsociable as you like over breakfast as I sometimes do when I can't face talking to anybody when I have just got up.  A nod and a smile is often about all I can muster at 7am.



10 comments:

  1. I am certainly seriously contemplating it now. I am determined to see more of the world and it won't happen sitting within these four walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great. BTW, I do not go on solo or singles specialist holidays, just group tours. Some people do not realise that there is a difference.

      Delete
  2. Seeing friends and then a film that you know you will enjoy sounds good! Six fellow travellers is a nice even number. I look forward to hearing about your trip to Azerbaijan on your return. I've been thinking about you this week and keep meaning to ask if you are watching Ben Fogle in China? I loved it! You can watch on catch up on channel 5 if you are interested. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing friends for lunch AND going to the film was really too much but I had no choice if I wanted to see the film again which I did. I am tired out tonight. The lunch was good. The small group sounds good a good number. I haven't been watching Ben Fogle in China. I would love to see it if the adverts could be avoided. I hate the interrurption of adverts. x

      Delete
  3. I watched Ben Fogle on catch up. There is a couple second interval like there is going to be an advert but there are no adverts. I highly recommend it especially episode 3. I never quite knew how advanced China are! Hope you have a relaxing evening now. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on holiday by myself several times. I needed time to 'recharge', and sitting alone by the sea in the sunshine for a while did the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have different ways of recharging.

      Delete
  5. I have always liked Jude Law, and think he has become better with age. Thanks for your review of a film I would never have been interested in were it not for what you say about it.
    It goes to show how I am NOT a movie person that I had no idea that a film about Michael Jackson has just come out. Is it what they call a "biopic" or more of a documentary?
    Anyway, lunch with friends and then off to enjoy a film sounds really good, and I'm glad that all is going ahead smoothly with your Azerbaijan trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until I have seen it I couldn't say what Michael is, whether a biopic or a documentary. It is probably a blend but I will tell you when I have seen it.

      I was tired out after yesterday as I normally only like to do one thing per day but I am glad I went to see the Kremlin film again as I was able to pick up on things I did not pick up on first time. I have ordered the book for my holiday reading as the film is based on a novel of the same name by Guiliano de Empoli.

      Delete